the 210 gallon in wall project

re: the 180 OR 210 gallon in wall project

oh so get this, i had talked to one of the lfs's about a 210, same foot print as the 180 just 4 inches taller... so when i told the wife that i can get a new reef ready 180 for 800 she sais, but didnt you tell me you could get a 210 for just 75 more? and i'm like yea, and she said well, then.....

so, my question is this, i have 8 48 inch 54W t-5's that i'm gonna put over this tank, will they be powerfull enough to penitrate that depth? the 29 inches of water in the 210, as opposed to the 24 inches of the 180? i mean i know it'll be enough light for me to see but will it be enough for anything else, like maybe mushrooms or something else?

If you put the corals torawds the top, you should be fine.

Just plan on getting more light eventually

Brian

yea thats already part of the plan, so, you think the t5's would do basically ok then?

actually i was thinking that at some point i'd get a couple MH units for the ends where the t5's dont cover...

Might want to have biff change the name back to 210 gallon in wall :mrgreen:

You figure that if the lights are working on your corals right now and if you put them the same exact placement from the light, they will still work. It is just that you will have a limited area where you can put corals until you upgrade the lighting

yea, well considering that the only corals that i have right now is this little not even fist sized rock of zoas that i've had for a few months now, the ones that i hung from the string before i got the shelf... they seem to be doing just fine now that whatever it was that was eating them has stopped being able to get to them....

I cant wait to see this one come together:D
Those T-5s should be good all the way to the sand,AS LONG as your careful about where you put what.

yea Biff, i think your right... oh man, a 210?!?!?! and my t5's will work(with a little thinking about arrangement) then i think i know what i want.. oh man, this is gonna be sweeeeeeeet!

heck i just unmolded the first batch of the new home made rock today... i'll let it cure for a couple more days and then i'll start the submerged RO water curing process...

ok, so whats the general concensus on how to set this up... talking about the stand and the through wall stuff, i'm picturing a basic 4x4 frame, knotched and bolted together... but do i leave the area under the tank just open, like if i were to go under the tank and look up i'd see the sand, or should i put some good heavy plywood across there and then maybe set the thing on some of that rigid pink insulation foam sheet stuff from homedepot? you know so that the tank is supported across the entire surface of the bottom glass rather than just on the edges like my 75 is now... and, every other tank that i've ever had, now that i think about it....

Last edited:
Re: the 180 OR 210 gallon in wall project

cool.. man, i think i'm gonna try and get a commitment from the wife for it tonight, that way i can start the construction possably this weekend... hehehe
order the tank, it'll take a few days to a couple weeks to come in, and then by the time its here, i'll have the hole in the wall and the stand built, set the tank, hook up the plumbing, and start filling it with sand and water and salt, seed it from the existing tank, and then, i guess i'll just have to be taking regular measurements and watch for any kind of a cycle, and then move.. wow, its just all getting to feel kinda real all of a sudden... hehehe

so after some deliberation, i need to figure the lumber materials bill but i think we are good to go on the 210.... so i got some blue tape and measured it out on the wall to see where its gonna go...

Attachments

• what a 210 would look like.jpg
    what a 210 would look like.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 255

Hey project I was in R2U about a week ago and they had a used tank. I believe it was a 240 reef ready. Was on sale for $200 If you want I can go see if its still there tomorrow.I know it was a big freaking tank I almost bought it myself but couldnt figure out where to put it. :D

no joke, heck i might just have to go see it myself... for 200 i can make it work!

yea if your gonna go, lemme know id love to know if its still there, or if you let me know perhaps we can meet there.. i dunno.. i am planning on having long conversation with jason today... do you still have my #?

so... how much sand do i need to cover the bottom of a 72 inch long by 24 inch bottom'd tank? i'm thinking about 2 inches max...

the other thing that i wanted peoples opinion on is the height of the tank.. now my 75 is on a custom stand that puts the middle of the tank right at eye level for me.. and thats kinda how i laid out the blue tape on the wall... but after thinking about it, for some reason it just feels like its really really high, and the 210 i laid out on the wall is really only like 5 inches taller than my 75, so i'm wondering if i shouldnt lower it some....

Last edited:

Where does that door lead that is in the pic? Are you going to frame it in and
re-locate it? Either way this is shaping up to be a fun thread. And an idea about your curtain/floating wall...............how about one of those folding devider thingys, like they used way back when for the ladies to change clothes behind? Just throwing it out there.

good memory dcan, yea thats where my trashcans and buckets and chemicals and all live, its just a closet.. it's back will get ripped out(into the spare room), the door sheet-rocked over, and then the new support structure, stand and hole for the tank...

oh yea, if i could get my tank for around 200 then i could go buy bigger and better toys... and i was told, that if i can work that tank out and get it home for less than 400 i can buy it cash today... hehehe when the wife said that i think i got a little chubby.. hehehe

so i've called over there a few times, and just left a VM, they open at 12 noon, its 1245 and no one answers and no one has called me back.. hmmm i know its just the one guy in there, but still....

oh, wait, i know what it is, Ted is over there keeping him from asnwering the phone, Darnit ted, if you buy that tank out from under me, well, i guess i'll just have to find another one then.. hehehehe

oh, so no one answered my questions, how much sand, what about the pink foam under the tank, that kinda stuff????

Last edited:

I'd hop in the car and speed over there now! Calling along the way from my cell phone.

I went over there and the tank is gone. :frustrat:

Back