the 210 gallon in wall project

Re: the 180 OR 210 gallon in wall project

yea i have, the circuit that is in the wall that i'm tearing out is gonig to be the fish dedicated one... its carrying both tanks right now, and there is another circuit in that room that i'm planning on pulling some power from as well... beond the tank there wont need to be too much power hungry stuff in that room, cause its gonna be my reloading room, really all i need power for in there is a small stereo and a couple of thoes el-cheapo work lights from homedepot, oh and my vibrotory polishers... and they dont pull much at all.. so, i think i have enough power.. not to mention that pulling additional new circuits would be a really really huge pain with the circuit breaker box i have... dont worrie, its all square d stuff, and in good shape, and yes it is all copper, but it was put in in 72 so there are only so many holes, and they are all full.... i thought about putting in one or two of thoes double breakers, but that still dosent help with all the holes (knocouts) in the BB being full... and so, i'm gonna wait and see if i can get away with out adding any new ones for now.. i figured if i spread this new tank across the 2 circuits that are in that room, it should be good enough.. but time will tell...

alrighty, well the demo is pretty much all done.. and we're starting to put in some new lumber... some pre assembly on the floor before going up, but its progress...

oh, and the big news that i've been waiting for, should be announced today, cause today is the day i buy the tank... I'm sitting here typing this and just waiting for the LFS to open...

progress pics:

Attachments

• 1-31-10 003  s.jpg
    1-31-10 003 s.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 219
  • 1-31-10 004  s.jpg
    1-31-10 004 s.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 231
  • 1-31-10 005  s.jpg
    1-31-10 005 s.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 242
  • 1-31-10 006  s.jpg
    1-31-10 006 s.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 221

yea, i'm just waiting for a call from my LFS... this is hard, just waiting to hear...

still nothing. i hate waiting. i can never find anything to keep me occupied to keep my mind off something

well the lighting for now will be none.. or maybe a shop light, but after the tank is up and running and established and finished with its cycle, then i'm gonna move the canopy i made for the 75 over this tank, yes i'm aware that the length and depth are different, i have a few mods planned and then i will have my 8 48" t5's, and that'll have to do for now, and considering that all i have right now that is really light dependant is algae and one little rock of zoas, i'm not too worried... down the road, i'll probably end up adding MH's or something along thoes lines...

no they didnt call me, and no not tomorrow, they are closed for restocking on tues's, i mean i guess its possible that he could call me tomorrow, but i'm not holding my breath, and from what i understand of what he told me, he only ever gets aqueon tanks delievered on wed's so, that means that i wont be able to get my tank till next week if thats really the facts...

thing is that he's really trying to hook me up, so i dont wanna be pestering him too much, i called him this morning and talked to him and he said that he would call me, so i guess if i havent heard anything by opening time wed morning, i'll call him and be like WTF?!?!?!

latest pictures, stands comming together, rough carpentry is almost done...
its as level and flat as my tools can measure...

Attachments

• 2-1-10 007  s.jpg
    2-1-10 007 s.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 235
  • 2-1-10 008  s.jpg
    2-1-10 008 s.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 222
  • 2-1-10 015  s.jpg
    2-1-10 015 s.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 279
  • 2-1-10 014  s.jpg
    2-1-10 014 s.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 253

Looks ambitious. Great winter project to have. Looking forward to following your progress. Always wanted a wall unit, but don't have the room. I guess I'll continue to live vicariously through the forum/s. Thanks for letting us watch your progress. :)

Hey p5k you made some great progress today! It's looking really good. :claphands

thanks, i'm really not working as hard as i could, but then again, i really dont have a hard deadline, just wanna be done, so i work for an hour or so, then i go watch half a hour of tv, and so forth for most of the day...

Looks ambitious. Great winter project to have. Looking forward to following your progress. Always wanted a wall unit, but don't have the room. I guess I'll continue to live vicariously through the forum/s. Thanks for letting us watch your progress. :)

yea, thats what i've been doing for years and years, but we recently aquired the means to afford this, even with me out of work, so while i have the time, we decided that now was it...

your welcome, i just hope that i'm not making any mistakes..

thats another reason i'm moving slowly through each step, i know how to do the work, but i've never had to plan for an in wall aquarium before, to remembering to think about where the plumbing will come out of the tank, and where will power come from, and if you put 1743lbs of water on my stand, will it hold, or will it fail, you know stuff like that.. so i stop and look and think a lot, playing out different scinerios in my head, just making sure i'm not screwing up...

heres were i stopped last night...
the first of the new sheetrock is starting to go up...

Attachments

• 2-1-10 018  s.jpg
    2-1-10 018 s.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 346
  • 2-1-10 023  s.jpg
    2-1-10 023 s.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 272

Project,WTF,MAN.A PINK saw:mrgreen:

I wanted to set my tank in the wall,but the wife didnt like the idea of me ripping holes out in HER walls.
Thats gonna be a sweet set up when you get it done and full of water.

yea, the pink saw, well it used to be orange but sun and years, and actually its orange, its just a lil faded.. and besides, havent you seen the latest line in lady friendly tools, pink and purple handles... hehehehe besides, apparently it works just fine, so whats the diff what color it is?!?!? :mrgreen:

anyway, yea, i'm still not sure which tank i'm gonna end up with, but last night the wife said, well, even if we dont get "the deal" that i'm working on, that we should just get the larger tank anyway, that way theres no question down the road, well i coulda had a 210 but....... so... we'll see what happens tomorrow...

actually, truth be told, all this was her idea... her plan for a tank in the wall, her plan for all the construction, re-arranging the house and so forth, this is only about half of the remodel i'm doing...

besides, who am i to tell her what to do with her anual bonus? if she wants to buy me a new tank and do a lil remodeling, well, i've got the time, so why not?!?!?hehehehehehehe the funny part was that when she found out about the interview to the job she has now, she was thinking about not going... and when i heard the name of the company, i was like, "no, your going, if i have to knock you out, dress you drive you there and then wake you up with smelling salts, your going to that interview.... and now just look at where she is..

now i'm just sitting here filling up shopping carts online, pumps, heaters, refractometer, electronic thermometer with alarm, stuff like that...

hey, does anyone know exactly what size holes come drilled in aqueon tanks for thier "mega flo" tanks? i know the holes are in the bottom of the tank, and i know that the bottom is tempered, so thank goodness that they are factory drilled.. But what size bulkheads am i gonna need?

Last edited:

If they come with the mega flow kits it will have the bulk heads with it. If I was you I would run a 2x around the bottom of the stand. There will be a lot of weight and it could move to the side very easy if hit to hard.

ok, i'll make sure to ask about the kits... I had thought about putting something around the bottom of the stand to hold the legs in place, but then i decided that i would just L bracket each leg and tapcon them to the concrete floor. that way i can have rolling bins or something that will roll under the tank for storage...

yea, you and me both, just for giggels i did some big round math this morning, and i figured out that 210 gallons of water is just about 1/5 of an inch deep when spread out over 1700 square feet.

just something to think about

oh, and a couple update photos... one is the stand now painted, and the other is where the wife is trying to figure out the colors that shes gonna use... the plan for now is to paint the wall where the aquarium is a dark blue, and then she wants to paint the other walls a light tan, and then the trim pure white.... i dunno, i'm male, i only see windows basic 16 colors...

Attachments

• 2-2-10 001  s.jpg
    2-2-10 001 s.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 399
  • 2-2-10 003  s.jpg
    2-2-10 003 s.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
Back