the 210 gallon in wall project

Re: the 180 OR 210 gallon in wall project

oh, and the next question, do i cut out the plywood from the middle of the stand, so that if your under the tank and look up you can see the bottom glass??? i know i'll have to drill the holes for the overflows and stuff, but should i just open the whole thing up?

Attachments

• 2-2-10 006  s.jpg
    2-2-10 006 s.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 573
  • 2-2-10 007  s.jpg
    2-2-10 007 s.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 735

All there is to look at is sand. I would cut holes a lot bigger than just the bulkhead size. They are a pain to get on and off in a tight area. Plus if you do have some leaking it won't get on the stand. The plywood will add a lot of structural support, I would leave it.

yea, i guess your right, and really the only thing that i could really gain by removing it would be to cause myself more work cause of all the cleanup cutting it out would cause.. ok, the only thing is that i still have to wait to find out where the exact positions of the bulkheads so that i can cut the holes...

You don't need to know the exact positions. You can cut out a 6" by 6" square in the general area, for example.

yea i could do that, but, i dunno, just would rather know for sure where they are so i know for sure that i dont miss for example...

no, the original plan was that i was gonna order the tank on mon, receive it on wed, and then have friends come over and set it in place this sat, but now that its wed and the tank isnt ordered yet, i'm not sure what the time line is looking like...

I just put the first coat of paint on the plywood top(the bottom was done yesterday) so i'm about to take off and go to the LFS and figure this out once and for all face to face...

if i do have to wait till next week/weekend, it'll give me more time to gather up the rest of the parts that i need, pumps, plumbing, whatever i'm gonna use for a sump(tho i think i've figured out that one of the 100 gallon stock tanks from tractor supply is just about the right size... the "structural foam" ones that are like $70...

ok so i went to the lfs, and heres the deal, from what i understand aqueon is gonna be having a sale on some of thier tanks starting next week. so, considering that my lfs guy only gets his tank delieveries on wed's, theres no way to get a tank this week(he dosent stock the 210 i want) so, on monday, when the sale starts, i'll call up and order the tank at the sale price, it'll get to the store on wed and i'll go pick it up.. then i'll come back here and park the truck in the shop till saturday. then on saturday a bunch of our friends are gonna come over and help us move it from the truck to the house...

fortunately i can back the truck up to within about 5 feet of the front door, and the tank is on that wall there with the front door, so we wont have to cary the tank more than 12 or 14 feet.

also figured out that my lfs dosent carry the rio 32 hf pump i've decided on, and the drs foster website has the heaters i want for right at $15 cheaper than the lfs... so the delay in the tank is fine cause now i can order all the stuff i need online and it'll get here next week just like the tank... hehehe

I'll still get 4 cases or 160lbs of "live sand" after doing the math on the dry vs the live, its actually just a bit cheaper to just buy the white live sand by the case.. works out to right at $1 per lb vs the best price he has on any other sand is $1.50 per lb...

alrighty, just hit submit on the order for the heaters, t5 reflectors, pump, ground probe, refractometer, scwd, bio wheel filter for the q-tank, and the thermometer/temp alarm... $378

ok, i see whats going on there, could i ask for a couple from the front as well? perhaps even one closeup of the interface of the front of the tank and the wall, is there like trim boards or what? is the tank sitting behind the surface of the wall or is it flush?

Sorry I had some friends over for the weekend and have been super swamped. Do you still need these pics?

no the tank will get ordered tomorrow, monday, cause thats the day that the "sale" starts, so thats the first chance i have to order a tank and get it at the sale price... gonna save me 10% so i say why not...

so, progress is being made, slowly, and there are some other projects going on as well, we are converting what is now our living room, which was the garage originally, to a "mother-in-law" bedroom, and reclaiming what was usless space for us, and making it back into what was originally a livingroom... this is the space that the tank will face into...

so, anyway, all my stuff that i ordered came in yesterday, surprised the heck outta me... so the pump, heaters, reflectors refractometer, scwd, and all that are here...

also, yesterday, we pulled 2 full brandnew circuits for the tank... After lots and lots of thought, and after looking at how to do it, i realized that i had open spaces in my extra CB box... so, i dropped in a double 20, pulled to strands of 12 romex, put in the boxes and the GFCI outlets.... just flipped the breakers on thoes.. i'll still have to sheetrock around them, but thats easy..

oh, and the first coat of paint is on the "fish wall" still needs at least 1 more, maybe 2... thinking that i'm gonna paint the back and sides of the tank with the same blue as the wall, so that way the tank dissapears into the wall... the other thought was gonna be to paint it black... still not sure yet...

Attachments

• 2-7-10 026  s.jpg
    2-7-10 026 s.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 302
  • 2-7-10 027  s.jpg
    2-7-10 027 s.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 274
  • 2-7-10 028  s.jpg
    2-7-10 028 s.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 270
  • 2-7-10 029  s.jpg
    2-7-10 029 s.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 261
  • 2-7-10  s.jpg
    2-7-10 s.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 287

Project they have a furniture dolly at the uhaul store for like 20 bucks, its the same thing i used to move my 210. it worked out really good. Then you dont have to carry it at all. Just lift it off the truck and set it on the dolly. Roll it to its destnation and set it in place, walla done and simple:bowdown:

problem is that thats not gonna work for my situation... there are a couple 4 inch steps leading in the front door, and then once your in the front door, well, your where the tank is going so theres really no way to use a dolly...

The wife has 3 guys lined up, Ted said he thinks he'll make it, and me and the wife, thats 6 sets of hands......

second coat of blue paint is on the wall and drying, man thats a purdy color... had another thought.. what if i paint the sides of the tank blue, and then the back black?

Thanks Dcan.. i'm working at it, i'm not killing myself, i work for an hour or so, then i go watch an hour of tv, then i go work for an hour and so forth... theres really no point to work any harder, cause the schedule that the tank is on is fixed, so.....

Request to the Mods..... Can we please change the name of this thread to "Project5k's 210 Gallon in wall project" ?

reason i as for this so specifically is cause I JUST ORDERED MY 210 GALLON TANK!!!!

its supposed to be at the store on wed, they will call me, i'll go over there, pick it up, and then on Sat this weekend, there are 4 people in addition to myself and my wife that will be here to set it in place!!!!!

oh, and i found out that the bulkheads and plumbing parts and watnot are a sepperate and additional purchase to the tank.. at $71 each, and i'll need 2 of them.. PHOEY on that... i'll just order me some 1-3/4 bulkheads online, they'll be here by next weekend, and then i can plumb it in myself, i dont need thier kit...

oh, and the other thing i got today is my sump, its a 100 gallon rubbermade "comercial" grade stock tank from tractor supply. $70 + tax, so not bad... and it fits beside my stand to the side, so i'll still have full access under the tank and stand to get to plumbing and for storage...

Rock on! I could possibly make it out that way to help out with the move if need be. It all depends on the what the DR says...(wife is tentatively scheduled to be induced Saturday)

Back