the best salt!!

RigoSharon

LIVING REEFS INTERN
there are a few salt mixtures out there..ive used instant ocean and coralife with no probs...they are easy to mix and water quality is good...and has trace elements necessary for rocks and inverts...i would like the opinion of the forum on what salt are you using and the benefits of it....which one for you is the best!! based on experience etc..thanks a lot!!:sfish:

I don't make my own saltwater,I buy it at the LFS.I test it from time to time and its always perfect.Been using it for nearly 7 years and can't get myself to make my own.They use Kent Marine BTW.

I started out with instant ocean,but couldnt get my calcium levels up.
I switched over to oceanic and have yet to supplement any calcium.It stays at 420 now.

I buy premixed water at my LFS for 50 cents a gallon. I don't have the space in my townhouse to make my own. Plus, I'm just lazy.

Adrastos said:
Reef - you buy pre-mixed water? How expensive is that?

Ad,the saltwater is $1.00 a gallon and freshwater is $.65.I do 5gal. a week water change and maybe 4gal. of evaporation.So it cost me about $8.00 a week in water,not bad to me.I buy enough water to last about 3 months.Back when I started in the hobby I had a RO/DI unit but it was to much of a hassle,seems like the cartridges ran out so fast.With replacing the cartridges and the hassle,I didn't see a savings.

If I had my own place I would call a company and have them install an RO unit. There are a few here in Hampton roads that will install the unit and do all the maintenance completely free and charge 13cents per gallon that is used. Since I live in an apartment they won't install one for me :( I hate lugging the water from the fish store so I use a DI filter. Costs me around 65-75 cents a gallon after I figure in salt costs. Cost me a lot more that night I forgot I was making water and a brand new filter got completely used up over night. Good thing the bucket was in the tub. Don't drink and make water.:Cheers:

too bad you don't live here. Pre-mixed salt water is .35 a gallon and RO water is free. I have had success using Instant Ocean, although I do dose weekly. I have no problems with coral growth and I have correct levels. On a side note, I just added my Koran angel today - it is amazing. I will be taking pictures tonight and should be able to post them in about three hours.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Back