The Big Decision?

TRAUMA

Reefing newb
The BIG decision:question: is on choosing a tank! I have 3 different tanks in that I am looking at.
1.. Is a 225 gal
2.. Is a 300 gal
3.. Is a 500 gal
yes, I have room for what ever on I choose. I can afford to pay for the initial set up of the tank. The main question what would be the monthly maintenance cost of the three tanks. I want both reef and fish tank. I thought about if I get the 500 gal tank to just make it a predator tank until I get my monthly expendable income up a little higher(pay off a car or toy). But I don’t know what the tank maintenance difference would be if it is a fish/reef or predator tank.

With a reef tank the main expense will be buy and running a lighting system. Personally, i would make the 225 a reef tank and the 500 a predator tank. You wouldnt be limited on what types of fish you can keep in each type of tank.

I dont believe the 500 once setup for a predator tank would be to bad on the wallet, lighting watermovement, waterchanges, heaters and skimmer would be the big expenses.
you would go through a 200 gal mix of salt a month on that tank, lighting for a predator tank wouldnt be to bad and watermovement wouldnt be bad electricity wise.
the only other expense would be the pump on the skimmer which would cost a some to run a month but still I wouldnt think it would be bad. the worst part is the setup so if you have that, the worst will be behind you ..:D

225 as your Reef. A skimmer for a 500 gallon reef tank is gonna be expensive, not to mention lighting. Are you going Metal Halide, or LED lights? When you ask about monthly expenses that is going to be a major factor. As well as what return pump(s) you choose.

If I was in your shoes, I would look into what I wanted equipment wise, and start a list of the power drawn by each component. Add it up and and go from there.

THE VERTIC IS IN :whoopee!:

I all most went with the 500gal but I didn't want to move the small swimming pool. So I went with the 225 gal:^:

Moving day is next week, but starting the prep for it now. It is an up and running tank all ready so it will make the move a little more challenging to move.

I am exited! I am like a kid waiting on Christmas

qusetion this tank don’t have a skimmer what’s a good protein skimmer and what size do I kneed? Would like to get one on order ASAP

get one rated for twice your water volume, and the reef octopus skimmers are an excellent brand. Be wary of cheap skimmers, they are exactly that, cheap.

I am exited! I am like a kid waiting on Christmas

qusetion this tank don’t have a skimmer what’s a good protein skimmer and what size do I kneed? Would like to get one on order ASAP

How much are you willing to spend on your skimmer? And do you want internal or external skimmer?

Last edited:
you should go in for tanked...if you like acrylic that is and you can be on tv!

I like TANKED. For a tv show that is all it is. If you want to see some nice aquariums in Vegas check out the reception desk in the Mirage, the Forum Shops in Ceaser Palace or Sark Reef in Mandalay Bay.

Back