The build - stand

active

Reefing newb
this stand is modified from my original plan 4x4's are priced thru the roof so its all 2x4 construction doubled up on the outside - its over built beyond belief this will hold a full size car - measures 73 1/4 long 14 inches wide and 36 inches from floor - built 2 outside frames to form the top and bottom - added 8 legs inside then when the top and bottom framed were attached i put in fillers - everything is screwed together with 3" screws and glued with gorilla glue - i added cross braced on both sides of every leg for added support - (4x4 construction the tops and bottoms of the 4x4's would have been notched to fit into the corners and notched for the front and back) - i hate power strips dont know why but i do - so its going to have 8 plugs inside the stand - dealing with fish tanks you have to be electrician , plumber , carpenter and scientist - found out this is not a 125 gal tank its a 90 but thats ok i wanted the 6 foot in lenth being only 14 wide is a bonus in this application

IMG_6833.jpg

IMG_4734.jpg

IMG_2835.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

more to come no where near done yet

Looks like it's coming along great. Can't wait to see the finished product.

On paint I like black. It makes all the brighter colors pop a lil more to me.

looks great, the only thing I was thinking about was if you wanted to throw a sump underneath you didnt leave much width room for a small tank.. if I am thinking correct there is about 8 inches in between? unless you can squeeze it in one of the bays?
And I would go with black also things will really stand out.. :D

the sump i have will fit in the center i off set the legs to fit it - back will be open not that i'll ever be able to get back there - the shelf isnt installed yet it will all come together in a day or 2

so i used oak flooring inside on the bottom and some hand shaved look birch flooring on the outside - doors are not made yet but will be tomorrow - need to find nice hinges and handles - this thing got very heavy all of a sudden - thank you to all that responded on what color to paint the back it has been painted flat black and looks great - have to get 3 hinges for the glass tops and the filler strips for the back - next after completion of the stand is the light unit to match the stand then figure out what to wire in

IMG_2896.jpg

IMG_4241.jpg

IMG_3358.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

thats nice man, are you going to stain it? its gonna look sharp with the doors on. we usually dont use glass tops in this hobby, it doesnt allow for good gas exchange

ok then skipping the glass tops - it is prefinished already i have to stain and seal the exposed edges and put the corner trim on - also will have some under cabinet lighting for the inside to see what i'm doing under the stand (switched of course)

a lot of people on the forum use there [ame=http://www.amazon.com/American-Pc-100A-Mount-Power-Switcher/dp/B0002GL50Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325642814&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: American Dj Pc-100A Rack Mount Power Switcher: Musical Instruments[/ame] you can turn off power to somthing just by flipping a switch, when i feed my tank i hate unplugging the powerheads and plugging back in. i think it would save you a lot of hassle

now thats an easy build right there - i like it - i for see radio shack in the near future -
thanks for the idea
i'll pm you my number your only an hour away - we can talk about where to get supplies being i only have like 2 crap shops and petco and petsmart - petco going out of business in dixon city selling out everything 20% off

with the sump going in the basement i decided to use the bottom as a place to put stuff and show it off -
IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_6594.jpg

still need the corner trim and a hood to match. so far i like the way it is turning out

Back