The care and keeping of a Snowflake Moray Eel

still its in their nature to eat inverts so its a 50/50 shot but if you have alot of rock or a big tank, once you put him in it mite be tough to get it out:frustrat:

Sharkie, how does your eel do with inverts? I have a eel in my 90 and have no inverts cause I know eels love them. mmmmmm mmmmm good. But I am now getting hair algie real bad so i either have to get some crabs every couple of weeks cause the eel ate them or give the lil guy a smaller tank

as far as inverts i've had a serpent star, lots of shrimp, hermits, snails, and all those lil CUC dudes and he's never once bothered them, in fact one of my cleaner shrimps used to go inside Konas mouth and "clean" like a dentist, earning himself the name "hermey" like the dentist elf in ruldolph. kona has left all my inverts alone, i just keep him really well fed with stuff so that he takes no interest in them and that seems to be the key thing in keeping them together :) i think as long as you keep em well fed you'd be fine... I feed kona every other night, like 5 or so silversides just to keep him fat and happy :)

Tristan, I JUST saw a white spotted eel at one of our crappy LFS, and if he wasn't in such bad shape I totally would've bought him :)

I think this really applies to all eels, since they are all the same. as long as you keep them fed you should be able to keep them with basically anything...

the only thing kona does thats annoying is he LOVES to dig and try to tunnel his way through ALL my rocks, today he almost toppled my whole setup because he wanted to make his way behind a rock that doesn't have a large enough opening to swim through... he made one and toppled a few rocks (knocked off one of my new mushies >:C)... and he doesnt like my one feather duster to be out, it has to have sand on the rock and the duster sticking out of the sand, otherwise he covers it :p

cool. i when i get a new tank, im going to put connected pvc pipes all around the bottom before i put sand. you think that would work?

i'm not sure the PVC pipe would work to keep an eel happy... jsut put all the rock on the bottom of the tank before you put in the sand, that should be good... i didn't setup my tank like that so i'm asking for him to topple rocks lol

my snowflake likes thoes frozen flat packs of krill, i've been giving him about 10 or so whole krill every other day, he seems happy and dosent really mess with anyone in the tank too much.. i have 1/2 nass snails, hermits ranging from about 1/2 inch up to almost 2 inches across the shell, zoas, a clown, a banghi cardinal, and a mandrin...

he's only broken the water's surface 2 times that i'm aware of, once when we were getting the tank(he didnt wanna get put into the cooler for transport, and then once here about a month ago, for no reason, shot up outta his hidey hole, splashed the water's surface, bounced off the inside of the front door of the canopy, and then back into his hidey hole.. weird...

I used to feed him cut up chunks of redfish that i had cought down at the coast, but when i ran out of that, i started with the krill...

very nice write up...

yea, i live closer to whats been called the third coast... i'm closer to the gulf of mexico than any other large body of salty water.. hehehehe

if you look on a map of texas, find san antonio, and houstin, now follow i-10 between the two, i'm about a quarter of the way from SA to Houstin.

Tristan I just got a blue ribbion eel ( he is awsome ) and looks gorgous in my tank. He adds so much color also. I dont have any probums with him eating any crustacians or fish. i feed it shrimp from the grociery store. So I say go for it. I also picked up a black ribbion for my 90 which will turn to a blue ribbion later, so if you want to go that route you can.

so since i've moved everyone from my 75 to my 210, my snowflake has been very active... well, thing is that he took a heck of a beating in the move... i tried to scoop him up into a gallon jug, that way he was in water all the time, and that seems to make moving the other fish easier, so i tried it, well just as i cleared the top of the tank with the jug, he jumped up and out and over the back of the tank and down the wall to the hard tile floor... splat... scooped him up in a towel, got him back in a bucket, and let him accilmate to the new thank for a while... put him in and after a day or so he seemed fine, didnt eat, but didnt looked too freaked out...

well, now the last couple days hes been getting more and more active, particularly swimming up and down against the end of the tank...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHi59FaGOmU"]YouTube - Snowflake[/ame]

so, i'm wondering if he's showing signs of being hurt, or just not being used to the new home yet, or what... he ate 1 krill one time about 2 weeks ago, but hasnt eatn since... i'm putting one drop of the garlic extract in with the 4 or 5 krill i'm preping when i try and feed, but he's just not taking it and this new activity has me worried...

anyone got any ideas?

project, do you only feed him krill? try mixing up his food, he def looks hungry from the video... if I don't feed Kona thats what he does....eels can go without food for 2-3 weeks, I'd try giving him some silversides or calamari or something besides shrimp for the moment, remember they like to mix up the food too! in the wild they eat all sorts of different things and I can almost guarantee he'd like some fish ;) he shouldn't go after your live swimming fish either since there is a distinct smell between dead and live fish...

btw, how big is your eel? He's a cutie :D

here what i di with my snowflake after loosing 2 nemo e few other fish for a total damage of +/- 250$
.......back to the lfs........

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzXoHl27TbQ]YouTube - ciccio reef tank fishing[/ame]

o_o poor eel! lol. are you sure it was your eel that did the damage? your eel is way small compared to your other fish

Back