The Conscientous Marine Aquarist book review

daugherty

part time reefer
I am not sure what happened to everybody but i am starting this thread for our review of The Conscientous Marine Aquarist, by Robert Fenner.

so lets discuss away.

What puzzles me is the flame angels in all the reef tank pics in the first chapter. But they are not considered reef safe?!

What puzzles me is the flame angels in all the reef tank pics in the first chapter. But they are not considered reef safe?!

most angels like the pigmy angels most all say reef safe with caution. but i would not want to take that chance with a tank full of corals.

most angels like the pigmy angels most all say reef safe with caution. but i would not want to take that chance with a tank full of corals.
Lol, well they should be clearer...that's like me giving someone a cup of coffee and stating "caution, it may be hot".

there are so many things that are not so cut and dry. look at how the filtration started in this hobby with undergraval filters. until they relized that it was doing more harm to the water quality than good. but from that the advances and chemestry that we have today.

I agree, the older people in my family, especially grandma, who has had saltwater tanks years ago, asks me all the time about why don't I have a underground filter in the tanks...she even talks about me when I do a water change every week on my and her tanks. As much as I try to explain, she's set in the old fashion ways.

I had an undergravel filter in my saltwater tank in the mid 70's. I had to put filter floss on top of it to keep the sand from filtering down into the slits. I had some horseshoe crabs that would keep messing it up when they dug around. Things sure have changed since then.

I bought this book, and I keep it in the reading room :shock: I bought it before I bought my tank. It was excellent for me, being totally green to the reef/marine tank :mrgreen: It helped me make a few decisions, or reinforced ones I had already made. A good general book, but it quickly left me wanting more!

Page 15, in particular discusses the "guiding principles" for becoming a conscientious aquarist. I'm hoping maybe we can discuss those a little bit.

I'll reread tonight and respond!

Wierd Davis, it says you posted before me, 6 hours ago
Hah! I somehow knew what you were going to say and responded before you posted!
Weird indeed andysgirl! There was an odd glitch when I posted. That must have been it!

The first chapter is great! But, did anyone else read the Forward or the Introduction? Page 15, in particular discusses the "guiding principles" for becoming a conscientious aquarist. I'm hoping maybe we can discuss those a little bit.

what i like and think is a very importand point on pg 15. is that you should know everything aboput what you are buying and be able to care for it before you even think of buying it

No, there would just be more people coming on here to learn before they went out to buy things. Instead of their first post saying they bought an 2 octopii and are keeping them in a 30g tank, is that ok?

Back