The Conscientous Marine Aquarist book review

For example when talking about Macro algaes Chaeto is not even mentioned from what I could tell(haven't read or memorized it cover to cover) but today that is one of the first things you hear on the forums when asking about macro algae in a fuge.
In the 2008 edition of the book, Chaeto is mention on p.153

I feel cheated lol...but it was my fault for not checking the date....assumed a new edition would have an edition number heh.

Heh I was just reading the part on tangs and he mentions a small hippo or yellow would be fine in a 10 - 15g and then grow into a 50g because they are not as big distance swimmers as some of the others...what does the new one say? That seems like another thing needing an update.

One of the other things I read that I didn't necessarily agree with is the author suggests that you start small and graduate into a larger tank. IMO, smaller tanks are a lot harder to maintain and keep stable. You're also very limited in your livestock choices. FInally, that's a lot of money to jump around in bigger and bigger equipment.

One of the other things I read that I didn't necessarily agree with is the author suggests that you start small and graduate into a larger tank. IMO, smaller tanks are a lot harder to maintain and keep stable. You're also very limited in your livestock choices. FInally, that's a lot of money to jump around in bigger and bigger equipment.

AG, what version do you have? My version says the opposite, it says that smaller nano size aquariums should only be attempted by the most experienced aquarist.

Last edited:
Heh I was just reading the part on tangs and he mentions a small hippo or yellow would be fine in a 10 - 15g and then grow into a 50g because they are not as big distance swimmers as some of the others...what does the new one say? That seems like another thing needing an update.

That still hasn't changed from the old version.

*Buys a school of yellows for his 40g*

Actually that just shows how there are always exeptions to the rule...If we could ask a 1'' yellow tang it wouldn't know the difference...but a 5'' would...all about understanding the foundations for our decision making and the real reason for the advice and methods used.

For instance I am new, but I understand biology....a parasite like ICH doesn't have the ability to materiallize from thin air(water), hence stress does not CAUSE ICH like I see commonly mentioned, but rather it produces a situation where the weakened and distressed fish doesn't have the immune system to fight the parasite(that has been there all along) off.

Me, too. I'm going to have to save up and buy the newer edition-- I sort of feel like a lot of the things in the older book are inaccurate.

In the beginning of ch 2, he argues that acrylic tanks are better than glass. What do we think?

He also says, around pg 52, to scrape your salt creep back into the tank. Does anyone do this?

I think that acrylics are much more clearer, lighter, and have more styles, but it scratches and stains too easily...
And I do scrape my excess salt back into the tank...I've never seen any ill affects from doing so.

I have a fair amount of salt creep. I was told never to scrape it back in (probably because of burning things, I suppose), but maybe I should start doing that...

agreed on the updates needed, its still excellent reef information for the annals of reef aquarium history but this author is one of the chief writers who don't lend any credibility to pico reefs and has written of their short lifespan, inability to become stable etc and he never left predictive room open for the advent of sealed reef tanks, partially restricted reef tanks (evaporation control, not topoff control). There is still an article on his web forum about pico reefs that really needs updating. This author seems part and parcel against them even though there are tons of great pico reefs out there now, but he wasn't the only one!

Updates yay

Last edited:
Back