The diatoms just wont GO AWAY!!!

chaosfinity

Got Kalk?
My tank is 3 months old now and the diatoms have been around for about 2 weeks now. Every night the sand is cleaned by the snails and crabs it looks great when the lights come on and in about 2 hours there is a fully blown mat all over again. I beginning to think that something my water is passing through or stored in has a large amount of silicates. Does anyone know if there is such a thing as silicone flexible rubber tubing? I believe my dad said they were all nylon tubing. Its clear tubing like what the gravel vacuums for freshwater have. And I guess the other possibility is my R/O unit its only a few months old also but i have a water softener before it could it be missing some things or possibly be prematurely wearing? I cant believe how annoying this is lol Lighting schedule has no effect unless the time is dropped below 2 hours a day and im sure thats not good for corals. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Invest in a silicate test kit.That way you'll know for sure.
You might also try increasing water flow in the tank.All I can do is guess.But its worth a shot.

What kind of sand do you have? Some sands are loaded with silicates. Use aragonite sand specifically for Aquariums.

Cutting off light for a week wont hurt your corals but will help clear up the diatoms. Just get back to the regular lighting schedule gradually after doing this so that the corals will be able to adjust.

Brian

it seems to just take time and if your water quality is good they seem to go away on their own. part of the whole patience thing with our tanks

-Doc

Back