The final product of the 55

grunt

Reefing newb
IMGA1088.JPG
[/IMG]
IMGA1082.JPG
[/IMG]
IMGA1041.JPG
[/IMG] this is the finished product of the 55 gallon with 125 skimmer, 350 penguin dual bio wheel hang on filter, 75 gallon wet/dry sump, odyssea 256 W 50.50, 3 inches of live sand and 70 pounds of different types of live rock. i would like to anounce that i have introduced a 2 inch hum trigger with the old 2 little hermits and it has been a week an ahalf, feeding him once a day live cray fish and live guppies. making sure no dead flesh is left floating to rot, the ammo is close to 0.25 and the nitrates are on 5. i have been treating this project like a baby for a month now and i have learned alot since this is my first salt water set up. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
need clean up plan of action

have 2 little hermits and the huma the lfs recomended one of those foxface fish to put in with huma which they said it will eat most of that hair green algae that is growing fast and some of that red looking algae 2. for u guys with experience on agressive tanks please help cause there is so mutch algae that i can get out with the brush.

just remember to go slow. Thats still a good size fish to start with again. I would wait at least 2 months before trying to add a foxface, since those too are large fish.

awwww

well guess what guy i only have the rock for filtration and not going to put any corals or anemones and yes it will be an agressive tank. there is no such thing as over filtration :bowdown:

although I feel you are pushing it a bit fast again, I wish you the best of luck. your next addition should be some snails. try to resist adding more fish. your bacteria bed is not seasoned enough yet and with each fish addition now you risk the new tank syndrom (die off). some of your rocks do not look like coral rock. is it just the way the picture shows it or do you have some granite rock in your system, or, lava?? once the algae starts to grow add some snails, when the coraline algae starts and gets a good foot hold you can add some fish although go slow on the additions. good luck with your project. keep us posted.

i'm good

i will take my time in adding new fish and will try to add like 2 snails in the future to see how they come about and will see the progress and take all commands from the tower if u know what i mean. i'm happy with what i got and will continue to use your guy's help thanx.

ok first off.... are you trying to say newb??? or noob?? wtf is neb LOL...

ok that aside, i already pmed you about how I felt lol. It does make us all a little angry, its as if what we told you never stuck. Just be sure like I said and john, to wait awhile before any other fish, or the tank will likely crash again.

thanx

yeah the tank is only a month old and it's holding up pretty good with a 2 inch huma trigger and 2 little hermits. that damn wet/dry filter is holding it down! :bounce:

Since you introduced a fish a little soon, I suggest something that will seed your live rock and help avoid new tank syndrom,its a good product called stability by sechom.I have heard that it worked on a tank set up for 7 days no fish deaths at all.....just use it you dont want to find out what new tank sydrom is first hand and the stuff is under 20.00 you can't lose. :lavalamp: (What are your water paremeters so far?)

Last edited:
routine check

well tested this morning, the ammo is on 0.25 and the nitrate is on 10. Still feeding him only once a day and skimmer is getting lots of nasty stuff in to the collection cup so it's doing it's job. :helm2:

ok.... wait. So we have 2 ammonyias on the board now???

anyways, sounds good. you got a nice spike in ammonia cuz the tank isnt ready. but hopefully all goes well.

clean up time

ok now my algae is growing in all colors red, black, blue, green, army green, transparent green lol lol. any of u got a clean up crew in mind? it can be another fish aslong as it is compatible with my 2 inch huma trigger eaven though i will wait a litte longer before adding anything i just ran out of pagen to read in my saltwater aquarium for dummies book

clean up time

ok now my algae is growing in all colors red, black, blue, green, army green, transparent green lol lol. any of u got a clean up crew in mind? it can be another fish aslong as it is compatible with my 2 inch huma trigger eaven though i will wait a little longer before adding anything i just ran out of pages to read in my saltwater aquarium for dummies book

Back