the fish disease you could catch

Is this a threat after fish have been added? Right now I'm still cycling my brand new tank and have some live rock to help the cycle, but I've been moving it around trying to figure out how to get 30lbs of liverock/coral in a 30g tank; is this a risk even now or more when the fish population is introduced to the tank? The article didn't specify...

How many people here don't use protection? (ha, i couldn't resist) Or rather, gloves and tongs?

i dont. i think this infection in not very common at all.

Yeah the article mentions that it's not really 'talked about' in the marine world - but even so I would be curious to know how common it is and what the increased risk factors are?

For instance, he works from tank to tank to tank before he contracted it once - and then started using aquarium gloves.

Not to mention lymphogranuloma is incredibly severe and takes a long time to develop - it doesn't just develop for simple epidermal contact; so I wonder if handling certain types of rock contribute to the risk factors?

I had Jill for a year before she started showing symptoms. So to me, it's a disease that can lie dormant for a while and emerge when the fish is stressed or compromised. Not sure about that though, that's just what it seemed to me.

I had Jill for a year before she started showing symptoms. So to me, it's a disease that can lie dormant for a while and emerge when the fish is stressed or compromised. Not sure about that though, that's just what it seemed to me.

that very well could be. i am just thinking it is not very common or not very easy to spread from fish to person just because you never hear about it. i would think if it were common the hobbiest would know more about it so they know what to look for

Just my honest opinion on the subject is that in order to contract this disease you need two factors, 1) an infected speciment your are in direct contact with, and 2) an open RAW sore or fresh cut that came into contact with said specimen. There are many diseases you can get from many animals, birds, rodents, reptiles, amphibians, aquatic life, ect. But speaking from personal expierience working summers as a lab assistant in a medical setting, the best defense against pathogens has, and still is one of the most basic functions. WASH YOUR HANDS!!! That is the easiest way to protect yourself from contracting many diseases that can make the species jump. Another wise idea is before dunking your hands into your tank check them for cuts, abrasions, open sores, anything that would give a microbacterium access to your bloodstream. This would also be wize to do after putting your hands in your tank as well. I am honestly not very worried about contracting this microbacterium as long as your exercize sound hygeine.

After a lil bit of research on the microbacterium, it's most destructive quality are the "tumors" it develops. I'm not sure who that guys surgeon is but he butchered the crap out of his hand to remove those tumors. That was like looking at those anti abortion posters where they show third trimester terminations that look horrid. If you notice any abnormal growths whatsoever go see your physician and tell him what your think it might be. Something the size of a bb won't leave you looking like you fed your hand to your fish.

Back