The Great Algae Genocide War of 2010….

Thanks everyone for following along. I have to say that my favorite thing about this forum is how overwhelmingly supportive everyone is. This has been a very frustrating and depressing situation and all of you have been so helpful and encoraging. Not to get too mushy or anything, but.....
THANKS GUYS!!

Day 7 everyone. Here are my latest test parameters:

tests2.jpg

NITRATES AT ZERO!!!
:^::bounce::^:​

I ran the test 3 times, just to make sure I was reading it right! I've also got the salinity down to a better range. I may lower it just a smidge more, to 1.025, but it's better than 1.030!

Alkalinity and calcium have dropped a bit, but that is probably from the recent water change. I will be putting in a buffer today with my top off water. PH is at 8.7, so I think I will suspend the Kalkwasser drip for one day. I don't want it to get TOO high.

I've been inspecting my worst algae spots during Dory's one hour swim time with the lights on and have been noticing a gradual reduction over this past week. The sand has also cleared up some, most likely from the goby's work and the lights out period combined.

Unfortunately, the stinking Icecap 420 ballast that powers my actinics appears to be BUSTED, only 2 months into its use. So, first thing tomorrow, I will be calling their customer service to inquire about warranty processes. :grumble:

I also got a very plesant surprise! The little diamond goby that I put in the tank about 11 days ago popped out to greet me for the first time since dropping her in. I thought for sure she was dead, since I didn't spot her since acclimation. So, I actually have FOUR survivors so far. WOOT! Dory's ich spots are still visible, which makes me worry a little, but she is still eating and swimming very well, so I will continue to monitor her closely.

I have another water change scheduled for tomorrow. Thankfully, I will only be changing out the water...no other big changes. Have the SW mixing now. Would I be correct in understanding that replacing the old with the new will affect my pH, alkalinity, and calcium levels? Should I dose the new water BEFORE putting it in the tank, or only after it has mixed with the old water and the tests are done again?

Ok, second water change. Since I needed to take my main pump (QuietOne 6000) out to be thuroughly cleaned, I also put a rubber sound dampening pad under my pump to reduce the vibration and humming sound. Works wonders! I also took the opportunity to install a couple of safety features on my system.

I've replaced the hob goblin mess of extension cords, timers, power bars/strips and outlet extenders with a much more tidy and reduced overall cordage and connected all my equipment to 2 separate 5-outlet GFCI unit. I also replaced some of my single outlet timers with a couple of dual outlet timers which freed up some space on the grid. :Cheers:

I've also installed a titanium voltage probe in my tank to capture and dissapate any stray voltage in the tank. Finally, since my last electrical fiasco with an old ballast, I've picked up a household fire extinguisher to sit right next to the tank. Can never be too careful with kids and fish in the house. Hopefully, it will never come into use. :D

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with all the sand I removed from my sump. Its really a waste to throw it away, but I don't have any other tank for it to go into. Any thoughts? Craigs List?

During each of my water changes, I've been siphoning off the surface of the rocks and the sand for any remaining dead or dying algae. I'm happy to report that it is sloughing off like melted butter! :bounce: Never been so happy to suck up sludge! I have only 4 more days to go!

I finally decided to take Dory (hippo tang) out of the DT for the final four days. The prolonged darkness is really stressing her out and her ick seems to be getting worse. It was covering her left eye and making it swell. :grumble: I've put her in the QT and am dosing with Paraguard. She's already looking better. Happened to catch her little clown buddy in the fish trap too, so she's got company with her. I've noticed that having at least one of my clowns with her in QT really calms her down.

Here are some updated photos everyone. Some more before and afters. This time, I will show you the photos from 4 days ago, compared to the ones I took just a few minutes ago. I have been photographing the same rocks not only for continuity, but also because these particular rocks contained the very worst of the algae.

BEFORE
IMG_4145.jpg

AFTER
(compare the shades of green here)
IMG_4191.jpg

BEFORE
IMG_4153.jpg

AFTER
(look at the reduction of algae between the stalks)
IMG_4192.jpg

BEFORE
IMG_4146.jpg

AFTER
(you can see a lot more of the rock now)
IMG_4197.jpg

I'm just hoping this isn't a temporary fix. I would hate to be back at square one 2 months from now. I think the really important lesson I've learned here is to do everything in your power and your budget to start your tank off the right way. It's a helluva lot easier to keep something clean and healthy, then to bring it back from the brink of hell.

Back