The Happy Couple

I think they have become a true harem....with the spawning rituals and all.

bartlett1_12-08.jpg

bartlett2_12-08.jpg

bartlett3_12-08.jpg

bartlett4_12-08.jpg

bartlett5_12-08.jpg

I have wanted some for a long time but I still don't know if I want the trouble.
Maybe they are a little extra work as far as feeding, but they aren't any trouble to anything in the tank. In that 2nd pic, the anthias were "dancing" near the anemone and the clowns came out and they moved. Sort of like...get out of my hood.
I do feed them pretty heavy at least once/day and on weekends up to 3 times/day. The get homemade frozen stuff from my LFS mixed with Rods Food. If I'm too busy to thaw food, they at least get some pellets soaked in GarlicXtreme and Zoe.
I also want to get 2 more females. The male isn't really too rough on either female, but I don't think spreading out the hurt will hurt...lol.

There was another pic that didn't come out. It was the male having a smoke and the female bitching to the other female that he was done already.

Last edited:
I think I know what was happening in those pics. They were not mating rituals, even tho the last pic is a classic open water spawn action. They were establishing dominance.
It's seems as tho I now have 2 males and 1 female. The dominant female became a male. The top of the males head is red, while the female is yellow and the male has the predominant dorsal fin. The "new" male now looks exactly like the old male, just slightly smaller. They even split the tank in 1/2 for territories. The female is starting to get hassled by both now. I think I need a few more females.

Interesting?I went back and look at the male and female pics you posted.Could that male not be a dominant supermale.Does it have the classic yellow stripe split down the middle?My one male has lavender over the eyes(higher then your pic) and the middle yellow stripe.I was thinking,I might need more females as well to keep the other females from having a sex change.

i need to get more too, but i dont know if its too late to get a male, i remember reading capt posting somewhere that females can change from female to male in as little as two weeks. so i dont know what to do

I took about 100 pics then gave up...lol. Looking at the 2 males from the side, you can't really tell them apart. They are definitely colored different than the female tho. The original male has more pink on it's head. The new male used to be yellow on the head, but now you can see it's changing to a light pink.

On that 2nd pic I posted with all three, the male is in front, the new male in the middle and the female in back.
bartlett-trio_11-21-08.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a few pics. They suck, but you can see the differences now.

Original male on left, new 1 on right.
bartlett1_2-09.jpg

Original male with female.
bartlett2_2-09.jpg

Original male.
bartlett3_2-09.jpg

New male with female.
bartlett4_2-09.jpg

Back