The Ich Bomb went off

SoccerPro522

Reefing newb
:frustrat:So i got a blue tang it was doing amazing until like a week ago when it got ich. I bought kick ich and feed him garlic enriched seaweed and mysis shrimp. He died 2 days later. Then when i thought the worst of it was over my foxface, grouper, and soldierfish, all got it. I continued the usual and today my snokflaxe eel and soldierfish are the only ones standing and the soldierfish is probably going to die he is in really bad shape.:(. I know it sucks but I am a posiitive person and at least now i can get some smaller fish since the groupers gone and the eel is giant yet and some cool inverts, but it still sucks this is the second tang that has caused a major ich wipe out in my tank about 1 1/2 since the last and the eel was the only one to make it out of that one as well:frustrat:

ich is a parasite though... or do you mean internal parasite?

the tried and true method of fighting ich is moving the fish to a quarantine tank and dosing it with copper and leaving your tank fishless for 8-10 weeks to break the parasites life cycle

Sorry to hear it soccer, just so you know for next time tho enriching their food won't do anything to fight ich, all it is, is an appetite stimulant for fish.

Yeah, unfortunately methods such as Rid Ich and Kick Ich do not work... The two proven methods are hyposalinity and copper. If you try to treat using anything but those two methods, it will come back.

Sorry to hear about your fish. It's so frustrating sometimes. :(

Yea i no i tried freshwater dips for all of them but obviously it didnt work it would go away on one fiah but get worse on another and when the blue tang died both the grouper and the foxface had an explosion of white spots.

Yeah freshwater dip is not a cure for ich either :(

The ich parasite has several stages in its life... A freshwater dip may kill one stage, but the other stages will survive it. Plus, you will have it living in your tank, so if you remove the fish to do a freshwater dip and put them back in the tank, the free-floating stage of ich will just reattach.

The only way to go is quarantine all fish for up to 2 months, and treat using hyposalinity or copper. Anything less than that is just putting a bandaid on a bullet wound.

That really does suck,sorry man...i got ich a year ago and only lost 1 fish(my mimic tang).....i chose to do hypo in a hospital tank and left my DT empty ......to this day i have never seen a single speck of ich. Good luck

Back