The last fish!!

putter

Reefing newb
Ok it's time for me to add the last fish to my tank. So far I have the rabbit fish, 2 clowns, orange spot gobie, and the coral beauty. I was thinking of a purple tang but am not sure if that is a good plan with 2 other algae eaters already competeing for food. I really want some thing wild in color and about the size of the foxface, if not that size then maybe several smaller fish. Any suggestions??

The tang would be fine -- just feed them dried seaweed sheets (you can buy them at any pet stores). I think a tang would be a great addition.

If you're thinking of smaller fish, maybe a school of red or purple firefish (odd numbers do best).

How about a fairy, leopard or flasher wrasse?

Thought about the Anthias, but they require several feedings a day if I remember correctly, with my job I am not able to accomadate that schedule, and even worse, I would have to talk the fish sitter into stopping in a few times a day instead of once. Will look into the wrasse that biff mentioned, as well as the fire fish scenerio, I almost bought a firefish just a while back, they are kinda cool looking fishes. Thank you both for your suggestions.

Really, I thought they needed to be fed several times a day....hmmm well with that I may grab a few of those, they are certainly nice looking fish.....dam now I want both er all 3, er 4.....how much is a bigger tank??? (sigh)

If anthias, would it be ok one male 2 females?

That's the best option when adding more than two anthias....one male and multiple females.After a week of fattening up,once a day feeding for bartletts or lyretails will be fine,not sure on the other anthias.Those two are not picky eaters and will eat just about anything.

Tried to order the bartletts today but the LFS was out of stock, so I had to put the whole livestock order on hold :(

Freak is correct about the feeding, by the time anthias get to your LFS, they are usually starved. I've read that the majority of anthias die in our tanks because they've been so starved during transport, not because of any problems in our tanks. So it's a good idea to feed them multiple times a day in the beginning. They primarily feed on small food particles, so in a large enough tank they can graze all day long.

Just a caveat though, some species are much more sensitive than others. I started out with 9 fish of 4 different species, and 4 of the 9 survived. The other 5 died within a day or two of me bringing them home. The ones that have done well in my tank are 1 dispar, 2 squamipinnis and 1 sunburst. Sunburst are supposed to be one of the more difficult of the anthias to keep, but mine is teeny tiny yet has done well.

I highly,highly recommend the Diver's Den section at Live Aquaria(that's if you buy fish online).I've gotten no deaths from buying there,no ich,no nothing including my tangs(powder brown and desjardini).I like the fact the fish are QT and treated/preventive measures are taken like deworming which is another problem with anthias and pretty much many other fish.

Only problem with that is talking them into shipping to Canada :( for now I am stuck with the LFS in Vancouver. Oh well, he has treated me well and only one fish has died and that was the first foxface. I have bought most of my live stock from him and will probably continue to, just have to wait until he gets all the stock in that I want as it costs about 60 bucks to ship it up to me :(

LOL no prob Dominick, I will carry on with the way I have been doing it, altho it sure would be nice to have a larger selection....part of the price for living in the far north I suppose.

Back