The lingo is tying my brain in a knot!!

Keaton

Reefing newb
I'm getting ready to put a sump together for my 75g but now I'm confused. What in tarnations is a refugium? lol Is that part of a sump or can it be if one were to build a sump? If you guys could help me out before i go buy all the wrong junk for my sump project, I'd be grateful. Thanks in advance!! :frustrat:

The refugium can be part of the sump. Most people have part of the sump sectioned off and turned into a refugium. A refugium usually contains sand, live rock rubble and macroalgae. The macroalgae consumes nutrients that would otherwise fuel the growth of nuisance algae in the display tank. The refugium also serves as a place for pods and stuff to reproduce and they can then spread to your main tank and serve as a live food source for the animals in your display tank.

To build a refugium into your sump, you would simply need a couple plexiglass baffles to separate the area where water flows in and equipment is held, the refugium, and the return section where the return pump is located.

Well, a refugium or fuge is a safe haven for beneficial pods and algea to grow. A sump is a place where the equipment can be placed to keep it out of the main display. Either way, you can have a fuge in your sump. CHeck out some of the sump build threads. they can be very helpful. It is acutally a fairly inexpensive addition if you can build one out of a smaller tank. I built a 10 gallon sump for my 30 gallon tank for under 20 dollars.

Brian

I've got another question, err questions...Can i use the out flow on the skimmer to power my return to the tank or is that a seperate pump? Also, do I need to drill my tank to put an overflow box in? Little foggy on that works...Thanks

Keaton you can either drill your tank if its NOT made of Tempered glass or you can get a siphon fed Hang over Back overflow. I think most people use a seperate return pump.

Think I've got the overflow question solved. Am i correct in assuming that the water being returned to the tank from my return pump will displace or force the water up into the overflow? So I should get a pump that moves as much water as the overflow is rated for? i.e. 500gph pump and 500gph overflow(or higher?)

If you use an overflow box, you will not have to drill your tank.

A return pump is separate from the skimmer. When choosing what size return pump to use, remember it becomes less powerful with the distance that the water has to travel. So if your overflow box is rated at 500 gph, you'll want a slightly more powerful pump since it will have to push the water several feet to return to the tank. If a pump is rated at 500 gph, that's measured when the water immediately exits the pump. It will be significantly less powerful after having to go through 5 or 8 feet of PVC to get back to the tank.

The rating of the overflow is the max that it can handle. The overflow will keep up with anything under 500 gph. But like biff said, the more distance that the pump has to pump, the less effective will be.

Brian

So will the return pump dictate the volume of water cycling providing the overflow can provide an equal amount of water? i.e. 1100 gph overflow (which I'm looking at) and 650gph return pump = a return of 650gph minus the loss of power due to the piping run *shrug* lol

Notice my avatar? Thats how this sump design business makes me feel lol. Thanks tho guys for putting up with me :)

Cool, I'll hopefully be able to figure the rest out once my octo arrives and I put it all into action. I'll try to get a picture of my sump/refugium design so you guys can tear it to shreds, lol.

Back