The Loch Ness!

I had one, tried all of those tricks couldnt get him out. Didnt have any fish yet, so I just starved him out. Probably a good 3-4 months no food at all. Finally saw his lifeless body floating around.

UPDATE:

Here is a little story about recent events regarding the Mantis hunt: (with pictures of course)

Using crazy ninja skills I caught the Mantis Shrimp!
773f9dd8.jpg

With This! (after many failed attempts with traps, I took this out and it thought I had food, so I just picked it up.... it was not happy about this... )
61276f9a.jpg

After much hard work, and a trip to the LFS I decided to reward myself with a new shrimp! Since the Mantis killed all my others..
0653a0a0.jpg

Only to have $40 eaten in 15 min by this suspect.. Unless I have another Mantis which I doubt....
P5102307.jpg

I think I am going to hold off on shrimp for awhile since I am (-) a pay check and focus on getting some coral started in my tank.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

How big is that hermit? Unless that thing is really big, I don't think it'd be able to catch your shrimp

Sorry to hear bout your loss.

Just a question though, how did you acclimate the shrimp?
They are very sensitive to changes in water chemistry.

What are the nitrates at? Shrimp are sensitive to high nitrates especially if they come from a system with low nitrates into one with high nitrates.

I also agree that the hermit didnt kill the shrimp but was probably eating the carcass like a good hermit will do.

+ Thanks All, I believe you are all right who said the hermit did not eat the shrimp. Water tests all came back fine, but I think I may have done a poor job acclimating him. I acclimated the shrimp the same time as two cardinals I got, when I should have let him acclimate much longer.

UPDATE: My yellow head goby did not come out as it usually does every night. It seemed strange since it has been eating very well. I looked around the tank and sure enough I found him dead behind a rock. Before I could net him out, I saw none other than ANOTHER mantis shrimp!!! Back on the hunt...

Oh man of all the luck. Yote may end up giving his mantis hunter title over to you if you keep going this way. Happy hunting and hope ya get the critter.

I would --pardon my language and excuse my slang-- FLIP A BITCH if I saw a mantis shrimp in my tank. And if I got the first one out and then found another one, I would cry.

Those beasts are scary! About a month after starting my tank I realized all sorts of nasties could come with the rock so I always rinse them in freshwater before putting them in my tank. I don't need hitchhikers. If I want something in the tank, I'll buy it an put it in there!

Hahaha great job though!

I've got either a mantis or a pistol shrimp in my tank now.Not sure which,but I can hear it clicking every night.But nothing has come up missing,so I'm not worried about it.:D

Back