The mantis shrimp hunt begins!!

Sharkie

The Damsel Defender
any and all advice is welcome!!

I believe that I have a mantis shrimp.... the water was tested fine but being that fish are just disappearing i think that may be the culprit.

Tonight i am moving all my other critters out of my room (and well away from hearing distance) and am going to listen for the clicking i have been hearing. I thought it was my hermit crabs but with all the fish disappearing and the water being 100% okay the people at the LFS think it may be the only other thing to find... so... the hunt begins. I will forsure find out in the next 2-3 days that my animals are out of the room, i figured the clicking was from my land hermit crabs who like to tap the glass with their shells while climbing but, they haven't been super active...

whats the best way to lure out a fish killer? my lil' phil (baby damsel) disappeared and he was there before i left.... it seems everytime i leave a fish goes bye bye.... and there are no bodies, i took apart stuff and have no dead fish to show for it...

Get yourself a small flashlight with either a red bulb or red lens.After the lights are off on the tank,take your time and look around every rock,hole,crack,anywhere that anything can hide.
It might help to drop in a small pinch of frozen mysis while your looking.If you can identify the rock he's living in.Then you just have to remove the rock, hopefully its not one of the bottom foundation rocks..But even that is easier said then done when dealing with a mantis.
If you can spot the hole its using,you can get your net over it.Then use a pair of tongs to pull the rock out and place in a bucket of saltwater.Dont try to pull the rock out with your bare hands.Even a small mantis can cause a serious cut.
After you have the rock out,then you can take your time and get him out of the rock.Sometimes you can run them out of the hole by shooting fresh water in there with something.
I would love to suggest a coris wrasse,but your tanks too small for that.But it sure is fun to watch em get their just deserves with a hardcore wrasse:D

BTW
Dont rush chasing this mantis.They may be a small invert with a very small brain.But they are survivors and are a challange to get rid of.Their not push overs in any sence of the phrase.

Last edited:
yes thats what i've read! I've been checking out videos of them on youtube also, i think the sounds i'm hearing is very similar :( i will have to go get myself a flashlight with some red lighting.. and be paitent with this little evil sith creature! LOL.

If (and thats a big IF) you can catch it alive,you can probably trade it for store credit at your LFS.
And if you've got a flashlight at home,you can put something red over it.It dont have to be bright,because your actually looking for its eyes to shine.They'll look like red rubies in the light and will actually be easy to spot.Kinda like a rabbits eyes at night.

ahh okay, i'll try that :) i think i have some red celaphane lying around.

i moved my two most probably fish to get hunted to my sisters tank, everything is the same there so they should be safe in her reef!

Back