The new family additions

Yes, that's why you're having nitrate problems. It should be zero. You have been removing dirty water from your tank, and replacing it with water that is just as dirty, or worse.

I suggest stop paying them for dirty water and start making your own. That way you know that it is clean. You should also tell them that they need to change their filters. They are charging customers for bad water! It wouldn't hurt to have them test their own water too, to make sure your test kit is good.

Yes, that's why you're having nitrate problems. It should be zero. You have been removing dirty water from your tank, and replacing it with water that is just as dirty, or worse.

I suggest stop paying them for dirty water and start making your own. That way you know that it is clean. You should also tell them that they need to change their filters. They are charging customers for bad water! It wouldn't hurt to have them test their own water too, to make sure your test kit is good.

Do you make your own up, have you got an RO kit

Yeah I have an RODI unit and make my own water. If you don't have an RODI unit, you can still buy RODI water from the grocery store and mix your own salt in.

No. You can connect the unit to the plumbing beneath the kitchen sink, or you can buy a faucet adapter so that it just hooks up to the kitchen faucet.

Listen to Biff...RO/DI units are the way to go...period. That way you're in control of what goes into your tank. Although it may cost you a couple of $$ at first, the benfits of having a RO/DI far outwiegh the intial cost. The only people that I take advice about my tank are people on this site that have nothing to gain by me purchasing anything. I'd be pissed off if the LFS was selling me dirty water..

No. You can connect the unit to the plumbing beneath the kitchen sink, or you can buy a faucet adapter so that it just hooks up to the kitchen faucet.

Sarah, have a look at my sump filter I have not cleaned it since the sump and tank was set up, give me an opinion of the filter and any suggestions, how often would it require cleaning, water is flowing great.

Allen

Attachments

• tank filter.jpg
    tank filter.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 213
That could very well be contributing to your nitrates as well. Unless those bioballs and filter media are cleaned very frequently (about once a week) they tend to lead to high nitrates in saltwater tanks.

That could very well be contributing to your nitrates as well. Unless those bioballs and filter media are cleaned very frequently (about once a week) they tend to lead to high nitrates in saltwater tanks.

Will everything in the filter section including the carbon in the nylon sock require washing?

Allen

Back