The New Michael Vick?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by wontonflip, Dec 16, 2010.

1. wontonflip

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

I don't know....I might actually change my mind about him until he does something stupid again...

Michael Vick: A new dog could help my rehabilitation

I was shocked when a friend of mine actually said "I think his punishment was harsh...they were only dogs, it's not like he was doing this to people". I didn't know how to respond, cuz this person is a dog owner.

But after watching him in this interview, one can say it's just good PR...but something about the way he conducted the interview makes me think there may be hope for him yet. I know it's not an excuse that he did it cuz it's what he knew growing up...but I can understand how if a kid was raised thinking something others would find repulsive was ok, then that would skew his thinking. I grew up where cockfights (<insert lewd comment here haha>) were common and the norm. Hell, my grampa raised fighting cocks (<again with the comments :bounce:>) LOL I never thought twice about it. On the other hand, dog fights have always made me sad.

What do you think? Vick -- Sincere, or full of :pooh::pooh::pooh:?

wontonflip, Dec 16, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. wontonflip

Bifferwine I am a girl

It's hard to say. I'd like to think that people like him can be rehabilitated. He has gone above and beyond what the courts have ordered him to do and has been working very loyally with the Humane Society for quite a while now.

But I don't know... I don't buy his BS excuse that no one ever told him that what he was doing was wrong. This is America. Dog fighting is illegal. He killed dogs with his own hands. If he didn't know it was wrong, then why did he try to hide the dog fighting and try to hide the evidence? He was just sorry he was caught.

Maybe he is a different person now. Maybe he can have a pet again. Let's just say I wouldn't let him babysit my dogs, just as I wouldn't let a convicted sex offender that served his sentence babysit my kids.

Bifferwine, Dec 16, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. wontonflip

OhNoNemo i love triggers

Being a huge dog lover and having one(or 2) since i was 4......it made me sick to my stomach when i heard about him being involved.....I was never a big Vick fan or anything when he played .....,but i do feel he is sincere ,especially when he mentioned his daughters ....Not too mention being taken under Tony Dungy's wing,which i'm sure has made a big impact on him also....

OhNoNemo, Dec 16, 2010
  4. wontonflip

fastrd400 It wasn't me! Moderator

Full of it! Straight up. Raised with it or not, he is a grown aduly, and capable of knowing right from wrong, legal and illegal. Just because I grew up in the projects (not really, just being hypothetical) and saw people shot and murdered does not make it okay for me to grow up and do the same thing.

The fact that the NFL let him come back and play is a travisty in and of itself. What a shining example they set, pull off a crime, do your time, and we'll take you back and let you represent us.

I think too much "compassion" is given to pro athletes, or any star or famous individual for that matter. Ant regular person would have done serious time, and carried a black mark on them.

fastrd400, Dec 16, 2010
  5. wontonflip

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

Yeah, I totally agree on these points, which is why I'm confused as to how I feel about this situation. Yes, I grew up around cockfighting (I never actually saw any since I was just a little girl, but I knew of them, and played with the ones my grandpa had in the backyard)...but as an adult, I do know it's wrong. But I realized this after realizing it's as bad as dog fighting.

I really do want to believe he's changed for the good, only because it's in the best interest of the kids who look up to him and for animals, but I do not like how quickly the NFL took him back. That actually did shock me at the time it was announced he was going to play again.

wontonflip, Dec 16, 2010
  6. wontonflip

fastrd400 It wasn't me! Moderator

There is that, and then there is the Ben Rothlisberger thing. So I assume I should tell my son as he grows up, and plays football that it is okay to rape women, and hold illegal animal contests that consist of mauling and death. This is all okay Aiden, just don't talk trash about the league in which you play., they'll take care of you and love you forever.

fastrd400, Dec 16, 2010
  7. wontonflip

KarenJax Certified Master Stylist

He should never have been allowed to play again for the NFL. He is a convicted felon. This is what children are looking up to and admiring? Yuck

KarenJax, Dec 16, 2010
  8. wontonflip

Bifferwine I am a girl

Yeah I was surprised that the NFL took him back too. My boss and I made a bet. I said "No way will this guy ever get a job where he makes millions again. He's going to get out of jail and become a construction worker or a janitor or something." My boss said, "The NFL will take him back if they can make money off of him. Mark my words..." And look what happened. I was shocked that a team would take him! What team wants that bad PR associated with their name? The Eagles, apparently...

Athletes do get away with a lot. But Michael Vick did not get away with it. He served a prison sentence. He actually served a long time, as far as animal abuse sentences go (they are usually very lenient). He got the book thrown at him, and was made an example by the court system. I wish that would happen to more animal abusers. Most of them just have to pay a fine and get a few months probation. It's sick.

Bifferwine, Dec 16, 2010
  9. wontonflip

Reefrookie Not so new anymore! VIP Member

[QUOTE=fastrd400;421032]Full of it! Straight up. Raised with it or not, he is a grown aduly, and capable of knowing right from wrong, legal and illegal. Just because I grew up in the projects (not really, just being hypothetical) and saw people shot and murdered does not make it okay for me to grow up and do the same thing.

The fact that the NFL let him come back and play is a travisty in and of itself. What a shining example they set, pull off a crime, do your time, and we'll take you back and let you represent us.

I think too much "compassion" is given to pro athletes, or any star or famous individual for that matter. Ant regular person would have done serious time, and carried a black mark on them.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more. :censored: Michael Vick. Not only is he being coached on the field, he is being coached off the field for all the news interviews he is in as to what to say. He is all over the Philly TV stations here.I turn the station every time he is on They are making him out to be a hero now that the eagles are finally winning some games

Reefrookie, Dec 16, 2010
  10. wontonflip

bjohanson1234 .........

He might be 100% sincere, but saying that having a dog would help in his rehab is like an alcoholic saying they opened a brewery to help them with rehab. I have never understood this societies facination with celebrities and sports stars. IMO, it is sick. Many "role models" end up being anything but yet they are still idolized.

bjohanson1234, Dec 16, 2010
  11. wontonflip

Cadillac Jacques

I think it would be perfectly fine for him to have a dog. I doubt he would get a game pitbull as a pet. That is one of the main things people have to realize about the world of dog fighting that he was immersed in. It's not your neighbors golden retriever and your poodle fighting. These dogs are bread and raised specifically for this. While I dont agree totally with dog fighting I have had looks into the underground world of it. I am glad Vick made a comeback. The world jumped all over him because of something that is wrong, but that most people dont understand. I do believe he is a changed person. Comparing him to a child molester is insane. There are alot of haters when you are on top.

Cadillac Jacques, Dec 16, 2010
  12. wontonflip

Cathic Fish Wrangler

Hahahaha, really now? I wouldnt call abuse, a form of "raising" an animal, nor would i say pits are bred for fighting, I had a pit for a while, and it was nothing but loyal and kind, it didnt snap at people or other dogs, it was a regular dog that liked to play and run. I would also like to know you experience with the "underground" of dog fighting and how exactly you rationalize the "sport" of dog fighting as misunderstood or a topic just not discussed openly enough. How do you throw this out as people just "hating" because hes on top?

Cathic, Dec 16, 2010
  13. wontonflip

Sharkie The Damsel Defender

Sharkie, Dec 16, 2010
  14. wontonflip

Cadillac Jacques

Well first of all "pit bulls" have been so out bred and mutted out to where what most people consider a "pit bull" is no where near the dog that is used and line bred as a game dog. Let's not compare your "pit bull" to these dogs. Im not lookin for a huge argument either just wanted to state my opnion on the topic. Im not going to get deep into the knowledge I have on this topic just know it comes from old men who were at the top of this sport when it was a widely recognized past time in the 40s and 50s. I will stick to my guns that it is a widely misunderstood topic. Like I said previously I dont really agree with it, but I do understand it. Finally to address the hating while hes on top, people love to see people do bad. Especially when its someone doing better than them. Once someone is seen as a villian most people never want to see that person get back on the right track or do good ever again. If you step back and put yourself is his shoes Im sure you would look at it in a different light. Mabey one day your kid gets in trouble for something frowned upon. Should they never be givin the chance to do good for themselves?

15. wontonflip

Cadillac Jacques

Staffordshires and true pitbull terriers are completely different dogs. That is where most people are misconcieved today. These two breeds have been crossed alot to get a bigger looking "pitbull" for the pet market.

16. wontonflip

regardless of if you're looking for an arguement or not don't come around here telling me that my friends dog is any different that any other pit. They are ALL good dogs- it is the OWNERS that make them what they are.

I'm aware that staffords and "true" pits are different-but not by much. I've done the research-in fact, i did a whole project on them for school with my bestie because she was getting tired of people telling us our sweet Kilo was a monster.

As far as hating people on top, i find all of humanity to sit there and over glorify ANYONE to be pathetic. I'm not going to go crying because miley cyrus was smoking a bong, I'm not going to freak out because i've met Gene Simmons, they are just people. they should be treated as everyone else is. If i hurt a dog and got life without a dog so should he. And there is no "I've changed, a dog will help me.' no. just no. he flat out KNEW dog fighting was illegal, inhumane, and yet he proceeded to do it and then tried to cover it up! he doesn't DESERVE the right to own a dog.

regardless of if you "know your information" on fighting and "understand it" i think its pathetic. There is nothing to understand about it. Its a brutal, heartless sport that sick humans participate in. Its people who like watching poor things fight for their very lifes and they get off on that. Its disgusting.

Sharkie, Dec 16, 2010
  17. wontonflip

Cathic Fish Wrangler

What did that do to counter the argument against Vick?

In response to Cadillac

Cathic, Dec 16, 2010
  18. wontonflip

Cadillac Jacques

I think he should be able to have a dog. I dont think its that big of a deal. I think he is a changed person and is trying to better himself. I guess my rant was pretty pointless but it picks at a nerve that hes always so condemned for something that really isnt that big a deal to me. just my opnion

19. wontonflip

i think that sums up how you feel about dogs. It isn't that big of a deal to you. He killed dogs and committed illegal crimes, he took a defenseless animal and broke it, forced it into something evil and then killed them and thats okay? That is where you and I differ. A life is a life no matter how small. Dogs are loyal to the END and if that dog was trained the right way it would've been there for him. All dogs want is love. He took that from them and turned them into monsters. HE is NOT a changed person. He is a big stuck up stupid famous jock that is crying because he got caught and he'll try to get his way because the stupid fans/public will support him. just as you are doing. He is the monster and we don't need to let him off.

Also, if he did this to animals i'm pretty sure eventually it'll lead to beating his wife and kids (if it hasn't already). 90% of all people who abuse animals usually end up in abusive relationships or become murderers. its an early sign that any psychologist/rehab person knows and that is probably another reason he isn't allowed to have a dog. If you let him off then all the other people who have ever committed a cruel act against an animal is going to complain and you're going to just open a huge can of worms for the rest of the abusers. He had his chance and by trying to hide evidence he proved he knew he was wrong and therefore he loses the privledge of having animals. serves him right.

Sharkie, Dec 16, 2010
  20. wontonflip

Cadillac Jacques

Child Please

1. Advertisements

Ask a Question