The OFFICIAL 10 gal contest!

What did everybody agree on for a cut off date for fish and corals? I just started my tank a few days ago and I will be out of town the first week of July, so now I'm a little discouraged about entering.

I think Aug 1 was the cut off date, so you'll have a full 2 months to get your tank cycled and get some stuff added to it! The nice thing (depending on how you look at it) is that the scoring for this contest isn't just about the tank with the most corals, so even if you only have a few things in your tank you can still get lots of points and have fun with it!

Hey guys! Just an update, your first official tests are due in by this Friday (though some of you already have them in). If you are still wanting to join this week, you can. If you haven't shown interest you will be docked 5 points but if you have shown interest in the contest but don't have a thread yet (ERIN!) you can put it up and as long as you have test results by the end of the week, you wont lose any points!

Also, Dixigirl, fishyreef is right, you could literally have one REALLY cool coral and still win the contest because of the points stuff!

I have already made my contest thread and have a couple corals on my live rock along with my hitch hikers. :) hopefully the cycle won't be that bad on my critters.

I'm totally confused as to when I need to post my params.... are we supposed to post them by Friday of every week, or just sometime during the week, or something else?

yup has to be once a week before friday night at 11:59pm. So if you really wanted to you could post once friday at 11:59pm and then again saturday at 12:01am BUT they would have to be separate tests.

Oh ok I was confused and been doing them every 7 days and it happens to be on saturdays. I will just start doing them on fridays then.

I will be out of town the first week of july, can I post test results as soon as I get back(that Saturday) and not be deducted any points?

Alright! I finally got to tallying up the points and here are the current standings!

Samhain = 8 points
chichimom = 8 points
fishyreef = 8 points
beeguiles = 8 points
dixiegirl = 8 points
mikeg = 8 points
erincahir = 8 points

A dead tie for week 1! keep posting and keep getting points! The tanks are looking great! I am thinking about making a few minor rule adjustments to make water params a little more clear (like you have to have at least 4 days since your last water param check before you post another so that you can't do one at 11:59 and one at 12:01) but I will get those finalized and put up. Dixiegirl, to answer your question, I will put some new stuff in the rules that may answer that question for you.

Also, I was thinking to spice up the competition, maybe we put in like a tank of the week and give that person an extra point that week if they win tank of the week? What do you all think! Glad to see we have 7 contestants! This is going to be a fun competition!!!

Happy Reefing!

no FishyReef you are good for week one. Week one was a little different because you just had to have your first post up. You have to have params up this week by Friday (which I checked your thread, you already do) to receive points for the this week.

Also, I was thinking to spice up the competition, maybe we put in like a tank of the week and give that person an extra point that week if they win tank of the week? What do you all think! Glad to see we have 7 contestants! This is going to be a fun competition!!!

Happy Reefing!

So we would be voting on this every week?

that was a thought yes. I don't know if you all want to do that though, it may get tedious. Maybe two points and we do it once a month?

Hey all! I am going to try REALLY hard to get scores up from last week before friday this week but it's my first week at my new job and I am absolutely EXHAUSTED when I get home. Keep posting updates and your weekly posts and I will make sure they get done at the VERY latest, on Saturday for last week and this week. Happy reefing!

So I am going out of town saturday and will be gone for a little over a week and obviously can't test my params while I'm gone. What can I do to not loose points or am I just out of luck?

I'd post a pic of your tank and test your parameters first thing on Saturday before you leave - that will count for the week!

Yeah I planned on doing that but I won't be home until the following weekend on Sunday night so I guess I will have to be a day late on that one.

Back