The phosphate situation

mmfrock

Reefing newb
HI everyone,

So, I have finally gotten around to testing the water that i do water changes with and have discovered that that is my source of my phosphate problem. I cannot by an RO system yet b/c of circumstances (will be building a brand new house in a year and want to wait until then to buy one and plumb it in). In the meantime, i am buying RO water from walmart, the "drinking" version with the green cap.

I have tested my tank water and the phosphates are .25. I recently got a phosphate reactor to see if that would help and i have seen no change. So then i tested the RO water from walmart and discovered its phosphates are .25.

So my question is, other than buying an RO unit, is there any other brand/type of water i can buy in the meantime that would help with my problem?

You should buy the distilled water, not drinking water. I think the drinking water has added minerals for taste. Also, installing an RODI unit is not complicated. It just goes in under the kitchen sink. I don't see a reason why you moving in a year would prevent you from getting one.

Heck, my RODI is under the bathroom sink!!!! Lol. I just stuff the dirty water hose in the sink. That's how versatile and easy an RODI is. I put mine in the bathroom cuz I have a drinking water filter attached to my kitchen sink. Took five min to stup bro. It's too easy

I had a RO unit before and it was a pain in the butt. I still live at my parents house and they just remodeled the kitchen and do not want an RO unit taking up space under the sink and my dad doesnt want to full with installing or changing the filters for me. PLus, i want to have it plumbed to a giant holding tank that way i can draw 30 gallons out really fast rather than having to wait for a gallon per minute like i used to and fill up individual jugs. The holding tank i want for my house im going to build is really big b/c im going to reset up my 90 gal tank then. Therefore, i have to wait. Thanks for the info on the distilled water, i wasnt sure if distilled was ok to use. I will start buying that kind. Thank you.

Okay, sounds like you have a good reason to not want an RODI unit right now. But the filters only need to be changed once a year, so you would be okay for that. :)

.25 phosphate is quite high, IMO. I agree with the others that the phosphates don't appear to be coming from your food. Where did you get your rock and sand from?

Ahh it's all good if you all say distilled water will solve my problem. I just got some last night and am in the process of beginning water changes with the new water.

My corals are doing great, and many of them are even growing. But yes, i have plenty of cyano and GHA.

Phosphates are definately coming from the water i was using. I tested it and i know it is. I have done everything else possible. I've been on this forum for weeks getting advice and i've done everything everyone's said and this was the last thing: test the water youre doing water changes with and sure enough...that was it! Hopefully using distilled with fix the problem.

I made the same mistake!!!!! I started with tap water then did daily 10% water changes for a week. Within ten days all my algae was gone. I had different algae though. Ii your phosphates stay a while It is Because they leeched into the rock. You will have to let them all bleed out. My tank been going a month since I stopped my daily water changes and my phosphates still going down and they 5.0 still right now. Just need patience

Well I was so hopeful that distilled water would cure my issues but i dont think that will happen. I bought distilled water and tested it for phosphates and is has the same amount as the drinking water does, .25. I guess there are no other options besides an RO unit, huh? I'm annoyed.

I'm thinking your phosphate test kit might be bad.

I've used tons of distilled water for change outs and my phosphates are unmeasurable.

There are two things that will get rid of phosphates:

1) cheato or some other macro-algae in a fuge with strong light and flow.
2) A phosphate reactor filled with the right media like Granular Ferric Oxide (GFO).

Do you have either of these?

Back