The tank is here

Apestyler

Reefing newb
It arrived today - Here are a few photos which I have attached showing what I have done so far. You may notice the tank is slightly unlevel I have checked this and will correctly this asap.

:^:

Looks like a very nice tank. Good placement, on a hard floor, right by the fridge for food and hopefully a sink to do water changes. Did you make all of your water up yet?

Not yet, I've only had time to give the tank a rinse and I'm still waiting for the salt to be delivered by an online store. I've got to first try to make it level ... its very slightly out when I check with a spirit level and have tried putting bits of cardboard underneath the supports but I'm not sure if this is a good thing to do ... any suggestions?

Yeah theres a sink nearby, went to B&Q (UK's big DIY store) and bought four 10 litre buckets for future water changes.

jhnrb said:
post pics in photo album thanks. i still cant see pics in threads

My photos are sized too large for the album, I'll need to resize them ... will try and do this when we move over to the new board.

congratulatons on your new aquarium. i can see pics now with new board. so now you are on a quest for a little piece of the marine biosphere. best of luck and remember just be patient, in saltwater good things take time. one of the best things i like about salt water is that you dont have to add stuff all the time as your system grows continually. new events continually emerge. hope you enjoy the hobby.

jhnrb said:
congratulatons on your new aquarium. i can see pics now with new board. so now you are on a quest for a little piece of the marine biosphere. best of luck and remember just be patient, in saltwater good things take time. one of the best things i like about salt water is that you dont have to add stuff all the time as your system grows continually. new events continually emerge. hope you enjoy the hobby.

New and exciting things happen all the time... its amazing what a reef system will do especially with live rock. I have chased everything from mantis shrimp in the tank to fighting nitrates. You will love it, and atleast you now know some other people who love it. I know my girlfriend makes fun of me and calls me fish boy to everyone and I just smile, because I am a fish boy! :sfish:

Good Luck!

chris said:
New and exciting things happen all the time... its amazing what a reef system will do especially with live rock. I have chased everything from mantis shrimp in the tank to fighting nitrates. You will love it, and atleast you now know some other people who love it. I know my girlfriend makes fun of me and calls me fish boy to everyone and I just smile, because I am a fish boy! :sfish:

Good Luck!

Hehehe ... my girlfriend also makes fun out of me, esp when I am reading books in bed, I get comments such as "You love those fish more than me?!" deep down I know she finds it interesting and doesn't really find hermit crabs scary LOL!!! My friends at work find it very interesting, and I keep forwarding them links to LivingReefs

I am away from home atm in Sheffield on a lads weekend, can't wait to get back to the tank and order some live rock

The one person who finds my tank the most intresting is my mother, whenever she comes over to my house she is just amazed at the diversity and just stares at it. She always finds something new that she did not remember seeing before.

More pictures

Well its been a couple of weeks so here are some more pictures of my progress so far;

1st Picture: Shows the tank with the substrate (15Kg Aragonite, 9Kg Living Sand), and some of the rocks - I have no idea on how to arrange them so if they look wrong please say!

2nd Picture: Shows the tank at night with its stock lighting

3rd Picture: Shows the Protein Skimmer (Red Sea Prizm) with the hood which I have had to cut a hole out of in order for it to be fitted. I also had to remove a glass ledge which was just below the hood.

Very Nice

Nice setup. The rocks look fine to me, since I don't believe there is a prescribed way to lay them out. Nature is seldom orderly on a small scale. Step back and admire your handiwork.

Regards.

you're on your way. nice setup. clean, simple, effective. good job. what do you intend to keep. may want some more circulation down the road. a couple inside small pumps could accomplish that when needed. for now looks real good. congratulation on nice job.

jhnrb said:
you're on your way. nice setup. clean, simple, effective. good job. what do you intend to keep. may want some more circulation down the road. a couple inside small pumps could accomplish that when needed. for now looks real good. congratulation on nice job.
Thanks for the kind comments jhnrb & marine newbie - I actually have 2 powerheads either end of the tank both rated at 1250 lph their outputs are both aimed towards the centre of the tank will I need any more circulation than that.

As for stock I haven't researched too much but looking to start off with a couple of clowns and then maybe a flame angel or yellow tang.

It is looking very nice. aqua scaping is always fun but there is no science to it just find a pattern that the rocks fit that you like.That T5 shot up in the last couple of days.Your stock light will keep you going till your ready for coral.What ever you decide to add do it slowly.If you put clowns in get two the same size,and start small.As they grow the bigger more aggressive one will become a female,and the smaller picked on one becomes the male(my wife thanks this is very funny)If you pick two different kinds of clowns they my fight alittle.
I have one false percula and one seabae.They have been getting along ok.

minireefer said:
It is looking very nice. aqua scaping is always fun but there is no science to it just find a pattern that the rocks fit that you like.That T5 shot up in the last couple of days.Your stock light will keep you going till your ready for coral.What ever you decide to add do it slowly.If you put clowns in get two the same size,and start small.As they grow the bigger more aggressive one will become a female,and the smaller picked on one becomes the male(my wife thanks this is very funny)If you pick two different kinds of clowns they my fight alittle.
I have one false percula and one seabae.They have been getting along ok.
Thanks for the advice minireefer, is the common clown the way to go for newbies like myself or would a different strain of the clowns be better.

Yes that light has shot up I think I will wait a few months as I need to get money for live rock in the next couple of weeks

Once you get your live rock leave the light on for 12 hours a day until you get better lights, this is so your coraline algea will grow. If you see a nasty algea bloom cut the time way back.

Back