The Whole Point Of a SUMP!!!

RAYRAY

Tiny Tank Club A+ Member
OK....... As most of you guy and girls know, I just moved my tank and added a sump. NOW MY QUESTIONS ......

1. What should I have in my FUGE ????? I have 10 lbs of LIVE SAND, 5 baseball size pieces of LR. TONS OF PODS and some snails.
I went to get cheato algea but my LFS was out so I have to go back.

The cheato should remove NITRATES, PHOSPHATES correct ?????
I will stopped ranting now.. The point is the tank has been RE-SET up for a month. MY NITRATES ARE SCREAMING AGAIN. about 80 ppm.:frustrat:

So this is what I plan to do. 1 buy some sea salt mix ( I usually use the natural saltwater in the 4.4 gallon container) This way I can do more water changes. Save money to invest in a RO/DI unit. Add the cheato and a better cleaning crew.

SOUND GOOD????? GOOD !!!!!!
:frustrat::frustrat::frustrat:

simma down now!

haha.

You have to remember that the tank has only been setup up for a month. You can't expect miracles in this hobby. Chances are you started another cycle.

Last edited:
Like Salty said,Simmer down,step back,have a cold beer,and look at the situtation.
You just moved the tank and made some changes to the filtration.
Any time you move a tank,you have the risk of a cycle.Your not going to remove the rock and move the tank without stirring up the crud that builds up.Not gonna happen,cant be done.
Then its going to take time for everything to settle back in.Its basically got to re-mature.But it'll get there.It just takes time.

So much for a relaxing hobby heh?:D

I am relaxed now.
Thanks guys.... I wasn't sure of having a cycle again because I used maybe 50 percent of the "old" water plus added 10 lbs of new live sand and the rest of the water was Natural Saltwater in the 4.4 gallon containers. But it makes sense because my nitrates are so high now. So a 15% water chance should help. But I have to start making changes if I want to succeed in the hobby.

give me some salt mix suggestion if you could. I was thinking oceanic or kent.
I want to get a RO unit but it must be small. I cant have huge buckets to hold the water. I did see a small 10 GPD unti but I'm not sure it will be worth it ????

OH STILL CANT FIND MY DIAMOND GOBY... GOING ON 3 DAYS

Have you thought about those RO/DI units that come with a tank for drinking water?No more water than you'd use,that might be your best option.No jugs sitting around.
I'd go with Oceanic over Kent salt BTJMO.I'm still fighting the algae outbreak I got when I tryed Kent.But I also got 2 buckets of the Seachem Reef salt sitting here that I've not opened yet.I'll be trying that when I get water in the 125.

I was looking at them, I wasn't sure if that would be the same. I think lowes or home depot have them
ok kent out of the picture.
thanks again

you know the one thing that gets me aggrevated is that it seems that everything is thriving. I have tons of pods, and stomatella snails. little featherduster everywhere, the purple coraline algea, NO PEST ALGEA. It just seems that things would be BAD with nitrates really high. ?????? YES/NO????

1 If your tank is cycling, water changes can temporarily help with high nitrates.
2 If you just can't get RO/DI water then at least carbon filter water before putting it in tank.
3 Drink heavily.

LOL !!! good one with #3 !!!!!! My tank shouldn't be cycling. I may have had a small cycle when I moved the tank, but it isn't cycling for the 1st time. I might add a pure water filter to the tap to hepl out. and I might justr have a bad nitrate test. who knows !!!

slight thread jack, but would a 10gal be big enough of a sump for a 30 gal tank?? if so would it be big enough to put a refugium in there too?? Would i risk a cycle if i added a sump to a previously "unsumped" tank?

A 10 gallon should be big enough. It all depends on what size skimmer and return pump you will be putting in. Depending on that stuff you should beable to get a small fuge in the works too.
No the sump will not cause a cycle unless you put uncured live rock in it.

OK... Cheato is added to the sump. I also started dosing Kent Marine Essential Elements. 1/2 tsp a week. Now I think I will pick up a better clean up crew.
10 nassarius snail (already have about 7)
5 astreus snails (already have 5)
3 blue legged hermits
3 emerald crabs (had 3 they passed)
2 peppermint shrimp

Sounds like you got a plan Bud.
But dose those Essential elements down the drain instead of your tank.You dont need that stuff,its a waste of money.

Back