Theory: Algae free tank possible?

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
If I nuke the rock with bleach, rinse it with tap water, dechlorinate it, rinse it again, gamma irradiate or UV sterilize my sand and add no sllimey snails, is it possible to get an algae free tank? I know bleaching rock and dechlorinating it has been done and it avoided a cycle becuase it removed anything living but has anyone got a 100% algae free tank going?

(Perhaps a 100% algae free tank might be bad for some livestock.)

You won't only nuke algae spores, but you'll nuke all the good bacteria on the rocks, and that'll cause your tank to crash.

And then, the rocks will just be recolonized by the algae spores living in the water column, on the livestock, and floating in the air.

It won't work. Algae will get introduced into the tank no matter what you try to do. You need to learn to control it by improving your water quality and tank conditions, since it's impossible to 100% eradicate it.

There is no such thing as an algae free tank.Just like there are no algae free reefs.
The only difference is the algae is harder to control in our tanks.On the wild reefs,there are all kinds of herbivores both large and small that keep the algae in check.

Find the source and then it's controllable. The only algae I have is the stuff that collects on the glass. My tangs take care of anything that grows on the rock. Plus my emerald crab does his share.

You won't only nuke algae spores, but you'll nuke all the good bacteria on the rocks, and that'll cause your tank to crash.

And then, the rocks will just be recolonized by the algae spores living in the water column, on the livestock, and floating in the air.

It won't work. Algae will get introduced into the tank no matter what you try to do. You need to learn to control it by improving your water quality and tank conditions, since it's impossible to 100% eradicate it.

I can't believe Bryopsis spores are floating in the air.

I can't believe Bryopsis spores are floating in the air.

Maybe not bryopsis, but SOME sort of algae. Do a test: Make up some saltwater, put it in a tub outside, and keep it topped off. I guarantee you will get some sort of algae in the tub in no time.

Maybe not bryopsis, but SOME sort of algae. Do a test: Make up some saltwater, put it in a tub outside, and keep it topped off. I guarantee you will get some sort of algae in the tub in no time.

You're right. I've done that experiment using a swimming pool.

There may not be any bryopsis spores in the air,but I'll guarantee they'll be on the next coral or piece of rock you add to your tank.
But your not alone in the fight with bryopsis.I've been fighting it for the past 6 months at least.

Enough was said on algea, I can't think of anything else to add. But on the bryopsis, I too fought this for a while. After getting tired of being the loser, I invested in a GFO reactor. I removed all the LR and went as far as tooth brushing it to get it off. Then replaced it and fired up the new GFO unit. I haven't seen it back since. Crossing my finger though, anything can happen.

Enough was said on algea, I can't think of anything else to add. But on the bryopsis, I too fought this for a while. After getting tired of being the loser, I invested in a GFO reactor. I removed all the LR and went as far as tooth brushing it to get it off. Then replaced it and fired up the new GFO unit. I haven't seen it back since. Crossing my finger though, anything can happen.

Your ultimate solution was to get rid of all nitrates and phosphates and starve the bryopsis? Also, forgive my ignorance, what is 'GFO'?

gfo is granular ferric oxide. which is iron based. as far as i know when it has absorbed all it cal it wont leach it back out like the aluminum based stuph will

Your ultimate solution was to get rid of all nitrates and phosphates and starve the bryopsis? Also, forgive my ignorance, what is 'GFO'?

First, let me say, there is no such thing as a stupid question, So I can't forgive you :mrgreen:

To answer your question, yes. I staved it out. Every life form must eat to survive right?? Take it's food source away and............

gfo is granular ferric oxide. which is iron based. as far as i know when it has absorbed all it cal it wont leach it back out like the aluminum based stuph will

You are correct to a point. GFO will not leach back, but if you tumble it to rough it will break down to a powered and then it will leach. You want to boil GFO at a slow and gental rate. GFO will last for up to 4 months before it quites aborsbing. Some people don't realize that, and pich it to soon. Plus Iron based or pure Iron GFO will take about a month before results are noticed, this leads many to think it doesn't work, when in fact it does if you give it the time needed.

That and GFO can strip your system clean and starve your corals if you use to much to fast. It can and will remove nutrinets needed by corals and can as it's called "shock" your system.

The best GFO media I have found through my research is sold by BRS. This is a pure Iron GFO. Oh BRS is Bulkreefsupply.com If you think you want to try GFO I suggest using the pellets size. Like Carbon, GFO is a binding material, But instead of large pore's it has tiny pore's, it doesn't get cloged by large particals allowing it to absorb the phosphate. You can run both Carbon and GFO at the same time, however the carbon will be exusted well before the GFO.

Never knew that some GFO was pure iron.

I'm sure it's not 100% pure, you know how they like to make claims about things. I'm sure it's mixed with other metals. I have done a lot of research on GFO & phosphate media in recent months. I have been battling a very bad case of cyno and was speaking with Randy Holmes Farley and Eric Borremann on the subject along with a few others over @ RC in a forum. While finding 100% pure Iron would not be hard, it's easer to find Iron mixed slightly with other metals. But through Randy's testing and other's "using it" testing methods they conclude that the GFO Pellets that are Iron or Iron based absorb more rapidy and don't leach. Where the powder or tiny grandular form does not. I do not find the aluminum base to be any good at all. In fact, it leaches more than it helps really. But again this is all JMO's really. Other than Randy's testing, and his findings.

One way to view this theroy is to dive on any battle ship (or metal ship) that has sunken. The ship becomes a reef in record time. And it florishes much better, corals are healther and vibrante and not much of the bad algea is found. When testing the surrounding water they find it is almost Phosphate free. Most ships built of metal is very High in Iron, which rust very fast. The rust then absorbs the phosphate. Most wooden ships are slower at this proccess due to there Iron content is lower, yet still there.

Back