They probably did better...

I almost put everything up for sale, kids said no way since they now see that they have part of the ocean in their living room. Snorkeling on the North Shore for a month changed their minds of how cool the tank is. Got another 90 but this time it is drilled. Now the fun part, how to transfer everything to the new tank since I am using the old stand. Its not leaking bad yet, just enough to put damp stains in a couple spots. I have a fan in there and am leaving the doors open. So far as I can tell no water has made it to the carpet.(knock wood).

Thanks, the leak seems to have slowed, I just need to get some more rubbermaid containers and garbage can to save the water. On the bright side I wanted to change the substrate and have be to lazy to do it, plus if its not broke.

I was wondering the best way to do that to. I am going to try and reseal the old tank leave it filled in the garage for awhile

No plastic toy shovels did I use. A 2" siphon hose took it out really fast. Of course I had to pick out my CUC, but it wasn't too bad.

well, i can tell you all at least this much: 100 foot of 1/2 inch pex tubing, stretched out from the tank down the driveway(and its a steep driveway), and into a trashcan in the back of a truck, isnt enough flow volume to suck the sand off the bottom of a tank, and keep it in suspension untill it hits the trashcan. It (the sand) has a tendancy to settle in the tubes and clog them up.

just something i know a little about.

I used a 1" tube and it sucked everything out into a 32 gal trashcan. Sand, crushed coral, rubles, all sizes of snails, everything. It was so fast as well.

I already had another 32 gal of salt water mixed a day before. Their sG and temperature were already matching. I waited at night until their pH matches, I started the process. After filling the 32 gal up with sand and water, refilled the tank with the prepared clean water. Quite smooth process.

yea, i just didnt have any tubing that large or that long,(oh god that sounds bad) not to mention that this all happened kinda spur of the moment... so i didnt really have a lot of time to prepair either..

all i had at the time was the tubing that i was working with for my solar water heater, so i tried it, in theory its a gread idea, and would have worked, if i had either had larger diameter tube, or more verticle sepperation to increase the travel speed of the water and solids. I'm glad to hear that you were successfull with 1", i'll try and remember that for the next time i have to get the sand out of the bottom of my tank.

lol.

I also have some 1.25-1.5" and I tried those before. They were way too fast to allow me to have time to position the tube to do target sucking.

ok, i'm gonna bite my lip....

yea, i had thought about a garden hose, but i was worried about the chemicals that i know garden hoses can put into water, and i didnt know how that would affect a salt tank(cause at the time i knew less than i know now, and i barely know enough to know it needs to be full of water now), so, i didnt wanna risk it.

ok, i'm gonna bite my lip.... QUOTE]

:evil!?!?: I'm not!

"I also have some 1.25-1.5" and I tried those before. They were way too fast to allow me to have time to position the tube to do target sucking."

I hate it when my large tube is too fast for me to position it for some target sucking :mrgreen:

Back