think i found the source of nitrates. plz look

bigjoncoop

Reefing newb
hey fellaz.

recently I've had a problem with my nitrates. my tanks been running for about 2 months. my ammonia is 0 and my nitrites are 0. but my nitrates have been high. even doing huge water changes with different sources of water. because I thought it was the water at first but its not. the other day my nitrates or about 30 or 40. I did a 50 percent water change and now after a couple days there about 80! I have no idea where they are coming from. I just remembered that I used a metal fitting on my return. I couldn't find a plastic threaded nipple.

do you think that my metal fitting could be the source of my nitrates?

also I've noticed that some of my rocks have rust colored spots. I have no idea if that's from the metal fitting or not just wondering.

please let me know what you think I am lost and have no idea what else to do

I still think its those pot scrubbies. Even if they look clean, I guarantee theure not. I seriously think yall should take them out, even if you don't put rock in there yet and see. If that doesn't help, then by all means, put them back in.

I agree with Kyle, also what kind of metal is the fitting? brass or copper could be causing die off in your LR which will raise nitrates, but I would think you would also see ammonia spikes.

hey fellas

ok so u don't think its the metal fitting then? I need to change it to plastic any way.

so I'm going to remove my pot scrubbies. so how should I do it?

should I just remove them and leave my filter empty? or should I take some live rock from my tank and put it in the filter? I have plenty. and then put it back in my tank when I get some dry rock or rubble to put in my filter? *if so I'm going to use whole pieces. not going to break em up *

I should use as much rock/rubble as I can afford rite? the section in my wet/dry that holds mechanical filtration is pretty big. can hold alot.

also can I use bio-balls? I used them on my last tank and they worked very well. I know I know people say they are also nitrate factory's. but I've had a great experience with then last time.

can some one point me in the right direction for the cheapest dry rock or rubble? I heave no choice but to purchase online. no lfs around me.

thx again fellaz

PS. since I have nearly zero Bio load, I can just take out the pot scrubbies and leave the the filter empty rite?

also before I go and buy rock or rubble I should take the pot scrubbies out and do a 50% water change and test my nitrates and make sure they were the problem rite?

ive been doing some research and ive read that if i use rock or rubble in my filter it needs to be completly submerged. so i would have to change around my filter. but in my opinion i think using a wet/dry is more beneficial because ill have both anaerobic and aerobic bacteria.

everyone seems to have there own opinions. like i said on my old tank i used a wet/dry with bioballs and it worked great. so im leaning torwards using bioballs instead of rock or rubble.

I personally never had a problem when I ran bioballs. But I also had a strong flow of water over them since I didn't use any mechanical filtration.

That metal fitting is what I'd be concerned about. Not for causing nitrtes though. Over time, the saltwater is going to eat that fitting up and it's going to fail.

I have an Emperor 400 filter and I was having serious troubles with a brown dust (diatoms) in my tank. One cause of the problem was the foam I had in it, even when it looked cleaned, it wasn't. But the mayor trouble was the black diamond carbon it was time to replace it for new one.

Definitely I'm gonna put some rock rubble in my filter and because of my struggle with algae blooms, now I do believe that HOB filters and canisters are not the best filtration for a saltwater tank, too much trouble to maintain. Best a lot rock, a skimmer, good flow and a very good CUC unit.

anyone one else?

so since I have no Bio load in my tank ill be ok taking out all my biological filtration rite?

Last edited:
You should be.

I really don't think it's the metal fitting that's causing your nitrates, though (although you should still swap it out, it can cause other problems).

Have you been testing your different sources of water?

hey fellaz

THAT DID IT!!!!! i took out my pot scrubbies and did a 50% water change and it lowered my nitrates from 60-70 to about 20-30!! yay!!!

now my filter is really loud. lol

i just posted a new thread about adding live rock from my display tank into my wet/dry biological section where it trickles to help keep it quite. but ive read that if you use LR in you filter it needs to be submerged. is it ok? i have 50 pounds of LR in my tank so i have plenty.

can i use whole pieces of live rock in my wet/dry in the trickle section as filter media? or DOES it HAVE to be submerged to work if so i dont need to order new filter media. i can just use a bunch of rock from my tank. if need be i can break them into smaller peices if thats better.

thx guys

YAY!!!! I've read lots of threads about converting a wet dry sump into a fudge. If you search it I'm sure you'll find some ideas you'll like.

You should ditch the bio-balls if they are still in it....they end up caked with nitrate producing detritus and stuff.....that's one problem....the second is that when it goes dark is when a majority of the anaerobic activity takes place, thus actually adding to the nightly pH swing.....and that swing is already more significant than most folks who don't monitor it realize....

Back