Think my BTA has died

earman88

Reefing newb
After a month or so if uncertainty, I think my bubble tip nem has died (I am not surprised). He has completely detached from the rock and is limp. I'm going to give watch him until morning and if I don't see improvement I guess I'm going to toss him.

Just as I was about to purchase a Marineland Reef LED =(

Sorry to hear about your nem & just like you, Im not surprised. Anemones usually don't do well in tanks that are less than 1 year old. Dying or dead nems can pollute a small tank VERY quickly, so it may be in your best interest to toss it.

i would toss it not just small tanks but big ones also. one of my friends just had a carpet nem die and it whiped out his whole tank

Hmmm...I loss a RTBA in my 150 gallon during my rookie days & suffered NO consequences. Oh well, every tank is different.

Chuck, your 150 gallon tank is 15 times bigger than his 10 gal, i think a nem dying in the 150 will have little consequence (especially if its small) but a huge one in a 10 gal tank.

Nems are some of the more challenging animals to keep in this hobby, requiring pristine water conditions and high lighting conditions, so if you didnt already have the proper lighting then the animal was doomed.

Next time, you should properly research an animal before you buy. A quick search would have told you that your tank was far from ready to support one.

Yeah, I figured that water volume was a big factor. I only posted that response b/c daugherty stated that any tank would have a problem with a dead menu.

Back