Thinkin Mandarin

PRC

Stop Quoting Me!
My LFS has a mandarin that is the biggest I've ever seen. I went and looked at him again yesterday. He's a solid 5". I asked about him they said that he was traded in by another customer..I'm considering getting him, but I hear all of these horror stories about these guys about how they won't eat, or they're difficult to feed, etc. I've got plenty of pods in the sand. I'd like to get him because they're obviously great looking fish, I've always stayed away from buying one because they're generally small and they'll just get lost in my tank. But I don't want to deal with a dead fish.

Here's my livestock list.

Blue throat trigger
orange shoulder tang
sailfin tang
yellow tang
foxface
3 chromis
2 clarkiis
midas blenny

since I don't know anything about these guys, will I have any compatibility issues with any of my existing fish?

What questions should I ask other than for them to feed him at the store?

It's funny, cuz everyone's been on a mandarin kick lately :D This forum is funny like that...before it was a foxface kick. Now it's a mandarin kick!

If the mandarin is NOT eating frozen, there's nothing much you can do to have them prove he's eating, unless you see him eating the pods off the rocks. If they claim he's eating frozen, then of course, watch them feed him. :) Hopefully you have a healthy explosion of pods? If not, buy some live pods.

Ya, im also looking at getting this fatty mandrine from the guy i got those new corals from. He is semi trained to frozen, and i think i can get him the rest of the way there. In the mean time im going to get some pods going in my tank. Thankfully the dude isnt moving till january so ive got some time to put stuff together.

I don't think you'll have any issues with your other fish.But when you put a Mandarin in a big tank,they have a tendency to stay back in the rock where their food supply hides from the light.

Yeah, when I had my 240, I only saw my mandarin a few times a year. I never knew whether she was dead or alive! Now in my 90, my mandarin is front and center all the time. Very social!

5 inches is approaching the max size. Man are they beatiful. I've had major problems with tank mates fin picking (can't remember which ones), more so with the bigger specimens. This is a very docile and fragile fish. Keep in mind the bigger they are the more pods you need. If you do not have a steady supply of pods I would not recommend getting this fish. It would be awsome if he was eating brine or some sort of frozen food. Sometimes the big ones will. I've also noticed that the larger madardins hang out in the open more so than smaller ones. Its near impossible not to resist purchasing a monsterous mandarin. Many times they are only a few inches. Good Luck!

I just got back from looking at him again...I decided against it...He's sweet though. They only wanted $25 for him, but I think I've got enough fish for now.

No I didn't take a pic of him..my camera on my phone is embarassing. I was talking to the guy at the LFS, even he said he's the biggest mandarin he's ever seen. He's big and he's fat. He also said that they grow relatively quick, it's just that most peoples don't make it..

The story behind the mandarin is some guy broke down a 130g and he was in it. So when they got the tank, they got the mandarin. I can't believe he's lasted so long, he's been there a week. But he's in a tank that has mostly corals in it, so if you're looking for fish you wouldn't even notice him...but since I practically live in the store, if anything changes I know it.

I changed my mind...I'm gonna go get him tomorrow. (I can't stop thinkin' about a damn fish)

Stay tuned for the pics of the largest mandarin on the planet earth.

I'm not usually this wishy washy.

I changed my mind...I'm gonna go get him tomorrow. (I can't stop thinkin' about a damn fish)

Stay tuned for the pics of the largest mandarin on the planet earth.

I'm not usually this wishy washy.

Well look who got his arm twisted! I'm happy for you. Let's see the monster. :D

Let's see the monster. :D[/QUOTE

That's what she said...

Oooohh...I'm on FIYA!!

Tomorrow young Bifferwine you will see the mac daddy and possibly the daddy Mac of all Mandarins. Hopefully I can keep him alive longer than a coffee and a donut.

If it makes you feel better PRC,they add very little to the bioload.Colts fans are such wussies anyways.

Everybody who has a mandarin,have you ever seen one poop?I haven't.

Back