Thinking About a Anemone

Civicdemon

Go Big Or Go Home !
So im thinking about getting one maybe a medium one, being as i have a 125gl tank Is there one that if it does die wont really make everything in my tank die by becoming toxic ???

Is there one that wont really move after being placed somewhere ???

Im not really sure if i want one but i think it would be cool for my clowns.

This whole nuking your whole tank with toxins is not something that happens. If it died in your tank there could be an ammonia spike if it was left in there long enough.

They all have the ability to move at anytime. Once they settle most will stay put for a long time, years even as long as their needs are being met ( water parameters, flow, safety, lighting, etc...)

You need to figure out what you want from your anemone. Do want one more apt to stay in the sand, on the rocks or the highest peak in your tank? Depending on your answers the list will get narrowed considerably.

They really are great additions but remember there are no guarantees that your clowns will host the nem.

What about as far as it and its sting towrds other corals ??? how does that work if it moves by my other corals and toches it is it going to sting it ??? I dont really mind where its at as long as its statinary.

I'm relatively new and everyone seems to go with give them enough space cause stinging usually occurs....on another note, I had two tank bred clowns that didn't host anything...and IMO acted like fish store fish always up and down the glass...pretty upsetting....when I got my sabae anemone,traded them in for reef sabae clowns.... long story short...they hosted it 45min after getting acclimated!!

That is one of the reasons they are "reef safe with caution" because of their ability to move and potentially sting corals that get in their way. Does that mean it kills the coral----Certainly, not but it could eventually if there continued to be issues between the two. That goes both ways because the coral can also sting the nem. Monitor the anemone until it is settled but be prepared to move some things out of it's way until it finds it's "happy place". Don't move the anemone unless it puts itself in a danger area (i.e. power head).

+1 Nick, when we first got ours it took about 5-10 days to finally settle right in the middle of the tank, which was great because it was away from all powerheads, but for that time period I moved a lot of corals on to the sand so there was no warfare while it was settling in.

Look for a rose nem. Relatively inexpensive, non-aggressive, and when fat and happy they easily reproduce. Then you can sell'em ;)

Back