Thinking about cutting back my flow

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
I took out some of the pumps I had in my tank, instead I have been using two 1200 mj's with the sureflow mod(2100gph prop). There's a TON of flow in the tank...But every two weeks I have to manually level the sand out.

The pump in the back is close to the bottom..it creates these small whirlwinds in the sand that eventually pile up in the middle. The pump in the front, where it contacts the glass, blows out the sand from the whole other side. I've tried adjusting it different ways and repositioning..but this is the best I could do..

I've tried using the 1600 gph props but the pumps get very loud and they click a lot.

Should I just let it build up into little mounds and leave it that way or what do you think? I still have some crushed coral in my tank..the sand will blow out until just the top of that stuff rears its head and then it stays that way.

My clowns enjoy the current though, lol. They surf all around in it.

If you have too much flow try the sure flow black props with a MJ900 it is 1600gph and seems to do really well in my 55g the black is not supposed to be used with the 1200 that is why the HUGE noise you have.

Ah, nice. Going to have to give that a try. I need to buy another 900, only have one..but at least I can give it a shot. Thanks

Thats a sign you got the proper flow:D
My sand does that too,but I also know that I got enough flow to keep detritus in suspension.As your corals grow,and you add new corals,the flow patterens will change,and things will level out.

So should I just leave it the way it is and just flatten it out every couple of weeks? Or let it run its course and shape my substrate?

Probably going to be about 4 more months before I entertain getting some coral..unless my wife surprises me with a metal halide light...Going to leave the window open in case she happens to read this, lol..HINT HINT

Back