Thinking about jumping in the saltwater!

Tomkat217

Reefing newb
Hello to all, I'm from Brooklyn, NY and currently have a 20 gal freshwater setup. A friend of mine has a 90 gal saltwater setup and i'm getting the itch! I can't go that big but maybe a 36 gal bow or corner. I'm reading anything I can get my hands on about saltwater fish and startups. I have to say it sounds very intimidating! I know it will run a few $$ and I started saving for a mid to end of summer decision. I will be asking alot of questions about whats the best equipment to buy and salt, substrate,power heads which type of filtration is best etc. I think I might go with a FOWLR setup.

thanks

Tom

I'm reading anything I can get my hands on about saltwater fish and startups. I have to say it sounds very intimidating!

Welcome Tomkat,

I'm new here too and doing a lot of reading. I've found that the more I read the more I realize I don't know :) Like you I don't plan on spending any $$ for at least another month or so. In the meantime I'm trying to read make notes and get an exact plan so I don't waste $$. The people here are great and will gladly help with any questions.

welcome to the site, everyone here is always willing to answer questions you might have. Also check out some the Saltwater Aquarium Articles that Jhnrb has posted in the Reef Aquarium Topics forum, lots of good info there for anyone setting up any style of tank. You cant go wrong with FOWLR, and you could always add a couple hardy and easy to care for corals once you get comfortable.

Welcome to Living Reefs!Feel free to ask any specific question you have and check out the ''Helpful Article'' section at the top of the page as Newb suggested.

My advice right now is to not use a corner tank.Odd shape tanks like that are hard to light and to setup a sump....impossible no,more difficult yes.

Hi and welcome! Keep in mind, the larger the tank, the easier it is too keep stable, healthy water parameters. More water to dilute out any mistakes. I'd say for your first tank to go as big as you can afford.

Thanks for the welcome and all the thoughtful replies!! I live in a one floor apartment, so my space is very limited! I wish I could go larger! I guess I will stay away from the corner tanks and save some serious $$$$

Thanks to all again!

Tom

Back