Thinking about stocking options

InsanityPrawnBoy

Reefing newb
Hello
I have a 10 gallon AIO Nano Reef I started about 2 months ago with not alot of success and a late diatom that killed what little I had. Since I have been unsuccessful with coral and snails I want to find out the problem(Diatom algea, Overpowering light, or alkalinity even though I tested it was at 3 meg/l but that was Red Sea) But I also want life in the tank. I want to make a reef tank but that doesn't seem like it would work for the tank with the set-up I have.

For the moment I was thinking Dwarf Blue Legged Hermit crabs but I also read that crabs may disrupt/agitate coral. Also my track record with inverts so far is bad.

Second option was just a Oc. clownfish, seems safest way to go but I don't know if I would be happy with just one fish(Although I am working on getting the 55 gallon set up).

My third option I was thinking and reading(Also wanting advice and thoughts on) a small mantis shrimp of some sort. I do not know much about them besides they are highly aggressive, can cause alot of pain, will kill any lving thing they can. What I want to know about them is the following :roll:

1: What kinds are able to fit in a 10 gallon tank?(I have read in alot of places there are)
2: What do I have to feed them? What are their feeding habits?
3: Can I keep anything else in the tank?(Macro algae, mushrooms, any inverts)
4: I have heard that there are black ones that hitchhike on LR could I get one of those for the 10 gallon if the LFS has one I can get for free?

Thanks in advance!

Back