Thinking I would like a Clam. Questions.

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
I've been thinking of getting a clam. Though I've had some minor algae issues and sand issues, my water has been rock solid for a long time. Rarely does any parameter deviate. Even then, most can be attributed to my error in testing or a bad test. (I do multiple tests each time and average the results.) so I have a few questions.

What does a clam bring to the table as far as bio load?

What fish are going to bother it?

Does anyone have FIRST HAND experience with Clams under LED lighting?
Care to share?

I've read up on them and I'd say my parameters are slightly higher (pH, SG) than what are stated. (SG of 1.025 and I have 1.026, pH 8.0 and I have 8.1). Is this really a big issue with clams?

When (IF) buying, what do I look for to know one is healthy?

Clams are like a coral, they don't add significantly to the bio-load. They get most of their food via photosynthesis just like most corals do - but they do filter feed to some extent, and I have also read that they will filter ammonia out of the water.

As far as fish that may bother it, some angels, puffers, and possibly butterflies. If a fish is prone to picking on a clam, LiveAquaria should have it listed in the description of the particular fish

Clams are fine under LED's. I've had a crocea (one of the more demanding clams) under LED's for almost a year, its grown quite a bit in that time and I have not had any issues with it

Your parameters are fine, but you might want to lower your SG a little bit and get it down to 1.025 using water changes (adjust it slowly)

Look for clams that have a full mantle. A really good test is to take your hand and wave it over the clam (to put shadows on it) it should retract its mantle back into its shell. If it doesn't do this - pass on it as its not healthy.

You also want to make sure the foot of the clam is not damaged when it is handled by the LFS. For instance, my LFS puts all clams in little plastic containers with rubble, and when you purchase a clam, you get the container and the rubble with it. Once a clam attaches its foot, do not cut it, it will kill the clam.

Also, if you expose the clam to air after acclimating, be sure to turn it around underwater to get the air bubbles out, otherwise they can get trapped in the clam and cause issues

+1 North. Clams are not difficult. They just require good water quality and decent lighting. The type of clam you get will determine whether it should be placed on the rocks or sandbed -- different clams need different positions. Croceas and maximas are probably the easiest and most commonly kept.

I've seen some really bright blue ones. Yeah, I know the color depends a lot on the lighting quality. A blue Maximas would be perfect! I'll have to look into it a bit more. Thanks for the info.

Oh, I forgot, I have a Flame Angel and have heard they can be a problem. Any truth to this? Well, one web site says they could be an issue to a clam, everywhere else has no mention of a problem.

If the flame is prone to nipping corals, there is a chance he might go after the clam. But if he has been pretty well behaved, i would assume it will be fine

My flame angel was fine withe the 5 clams that I had :)

They are easy to keep but are filter feeders. So will need to feed very very fine foods into the water column unless you have a well established tanks with health pod and bacteria population

My flame angel was fine withe the 5 clams that I had :)

They are easy to keep but are filter feeders. So will need to feed very very fine foods into the water column unless you have a well established tanks with health pod and bacteria population

If you buy a clan larger than 3 inches, you do not need to feed them in this way. When they get larger, the majority of their food is from photosynthesis. However, small clams DO need supplemental feeding. It's best to just get a larger one so you don't have to mess with this

If you buy a clan larger than 3 inches, you do not need to feed them in this way. When they get larger, the majority of their food is from photosynthesis. However, small clams DO need supplemental feeding. It's best to just get a larger one so you don't have to mess with this

This is true. I had a 1" crocea in my 3 gallon pico and I don't know how it survived, because by all accounts I should have been feeding it phyto. Maybe there was enough food in the water column. For my bigger clams (fist sized or larger), I have never had to feed them. They need good lighting, though.

This is true. I had a 1" crocea in my 3 gallon pico and I don't know how it survived, because by all accounts I should have been feeding it phyto. Maybe there was enough food in the water column. For my bigger clams (fist sized or larger), I have never had to feed them. They need good lighting, though.

Yep. good lighting is a must. I have my crocea under my AI's in the center with the 40 degree optics, I've melted coral with similar placement, but my crocea just eats it up

I was thinking of adding a few maxima clams under one of the Halide spotlights. Are you thinking of maxima or crocea? I really like the deep blue of the maximas that I have seen.

Back