Thinking of becoming a Deer Hunter

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by dcantucson, Nov 25, 2009.

1. dcantucson

dcantucson

dcantucson, Nov 25, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. dcantucson

daugherty part time reefer

that is good that somebody is out there trying to teach people how to hunt

daugherty, Nov 25, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. dcantucson

coolhandgoose

When I was up north there was about 5 of us who shared a tag, we got all pepporini sticks and sausages, I can't stand the taste of venison, too gamey, but in pepperoni form it's awesome :)

coolhandgoose, Nov 25, 2009
  4. dcantucson

dcantucson

I'm having second thoughts now!

dcantucson, Nov 25, 2009
  5. dcantucson

daugherty part time reefer

i think it all depends on what they eat here they mostly eat lots of grain. if you want something that tatse's real good get yourself a elk. i think it tasts 100x better than beef

daugherty, Nov 25, 2009
  6. dcantucson

coolhandgoose

Don't be discouraged. Hey some people like, it's quite the delicacy for some. Just my pallette doesn't like it, I've had buffalo, moose, goose, bear, elk, but deer is really gamey. Maybe if it's cooked properly you can do wonders, I've only ever done steaks with it and didn't like it. But that's just me. Obviously people do eat it :)

7. dcantucson

coolhandgoose

Elk is awesome, we used to live by an elk farm and their steaks were amazing, not much fat but still tender. It's a very dark meat.

8. dcantucson

fastrd400 It wasn't me! Moderator

HAHA, I'd toatally do it. I subscribe to the old Ted Nugent thought of "you can't grill it til you kill it". That being said I would never consider becomeing a hunter for sport, nor would I kill any more than I could feed my family. But I do love me some vinison jerky when I get it.

fastrd400, Nov 25, 2009
  9. dcantucson

project5k

well, if your worried about the gamieness of the meat, do what i have to do to get my wife to eat it... have it made into sausage... but have it mixed up like this:
    25% deer
    50% cow
    25% pig

its cheaper by the pound than anything i can buy in a store, and it eats just like most any other sausage...

project5k, Nov 25, 2009
  10. dcantucson

Jschoon VIP Member

That is a PETA moment
    People
    Eating
    Tastey
    Animals

I think it it is a great thing to get people to understand that we hunters are not just shoot em up and let em lay killers. There may be a few of those but most of us shoot, clean, process and eat our kill. I think of it as a sport with a huge return. Like my grandpa said, you shoot it, you eat it. I like to see responsible and ethical hunting being shown in this format. Too many times all you ever see is the bad press.

If you have never tried it, you should. Wild game (deer, elk, turkey, squirrel, rabbit, and even fish) is great when prepared properly from kill to table. When it tastes bad it is usually due to improper field dressing and handling.

Jschoon, Nov 25, 2009
  11. dcantucson

project5k

yea, there are gamier tasting deer than others, i've had some that were just delicious, and then i've had some that obviously didnt have such a great year and tasted a little off, but if i'm gonna kill it, then i'm gonna eat it(people excluded) :)

i got a deer 2 years ago, had him made into sausage, then last year i shot 2 piglets(with one bullet) and wow, were they tastey, quartered them, split the ribs, and had little piglet's baby ribs on the grill... MMMMMMMmmMMmM MMMMM!

now that i have a larger box freezer, i'm loking to score a few more piggies this year, but no deer for me, i havent taken the hunter's safety course, and i dont have the time or the money for it this year....

project5k, Nov 25, 2009
  12. dcantucson

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

Took the words right outta my finger tips.
    To get good table fare,its got to be taken care of the RIGHT way from the time the shots made till it hits the table.But there little things too that help the taste and how tender the meat is.Things like getting the animal field dressed and cooled.If its a big game animal and its cool enough,hang it over night before its actually skinned.
    I also look at hunting as a sport which cuts down on my grocery bill.But you all got to figure in the time spent in the woods and getting ready for the season.Most hunters will spend a lot of time just getting their equipment ready and scouting,then the long hours sitting in the stand for that one good shot.

yote, Nov 26, 2009
  13. dcantucson

steelcity

I went hunting one time and I'm hooked. I spearfish and fish pretty regularly and now I just started hog hunting. Deer is next. Let me find a cow in the woods and you'll never see me at the grocery store.

Deer is very tasty. As said before, taking care of it as soon as it's shot is how to keep it in the best form. Field dress/skin it and get that thing on ice. Make sure your tools are clean. Deer steaks, tenderloin, backstraps, jerky, sticks, roasts, chops, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. You just can't go wrong with it. Tastes great, saves you money, and it's good for you.

Excuse me as I run out to go grab my next box of ammo for my 30-06.

steelcity, Nov 26, 2009
  14. dcantucson

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

I've had home made deer jerky made by my in laws, and my friend's husband made yummy deer sausage, which of course he had mixed w/ pork fat so it's nice and juicy. I've also had Ostrich jerky we bought from this awesome jerky store in Gatlinburg, TN.

wontonflip, Nov 26, 2009
  15. dcantucson

Picasso Seahorse Whisperer

As a vegetarian, I used to think hunters were horrible people. When we moved here to WI, a very large hunting area, I learned that the hunters are extremely passionate about caring for our environment and keeping our natural resources in tact. I learned to appreciate the many things they do for us, like keep our woods from getting overpopulated and risking our lives and theirs and rallying to keep our city from sprawling out into the forests. I think our hunters are great. It's still hard to see a deer strapped to almost every truck bumper in town, I'm working on it. I will work to protect our hunter's rights and encourage people to consider the sport as it does a lot of good for all of us! Go for it, David!

Catherine

Picasso, Nov 26, 2009
  16. dcantucson

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

I'm planning an archery hog hunt for sometime after Christmas.My brother found a farm in Crossville Tn. thats having a lot of problems with hogs,so I'm taking a weeks vacation from work(even if it gets me fired) and going up there to camp and hunt.

yote, Nov 26, 2009
  17. dcantucson

steelcity

The peanut farmers in GA can pay big bucks to get rid of their problem. To them it's worth paying for someone to get rid of them since the pigs can come in every night and do say $100 worth of damage everynight.

Hunters and spearfishermen I think are very eco-friendly. People think spearfishermen have it easy. You just roll over and go shoot everything. Some fish are very dumb like hogfish and red grouper. I guess these could be equivalent to rabbits and squirrels. But just as in land hunting, you need to be stealthy and always be thinking to get those elusive big boys like black groupers and larger snappers. Don't forget your under water sometimes way past 100'.

But in the end you are being very selective and have no by-catch. We support reef restoration and the sinking of new wrecks to promote growth just like duck hunters are big on wetlands. The newest most notable wreck is the Vandenburg that just went down in Key West over the summer. This thing is huge and will be a major fish haven.

steelcity, Nov 26, 2009
  18. dcantucson

dcantucson

Hogs? I have heard of them being a problem. Even attacking people. We have Javalinas here but they are not a big problem.

dcantucson, Nov 26, 2009
  19. dcantucson

sen5241b

So these aliens land on planet earth and their intelligence is as far above ours as ours is above a pig. The aliens say they have "come to serve humanity." Do they have the ethical right to devour us?

sen5241b, Nov 27, 2009
  20. dcantucson

motorcyclereefer I am Graffiti Petey

I had a buddy of mine fix some deer meat for a church Christmas dinner. Never had deer meat for Christmas but it was very filling. I usually just eat my deer meat as jerky.

motorcyclereefer, Nov 27, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question