thinking of buying kid his own tank?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by grozier, Oct 22, 2013.

1. grozier

grozier something smells fishy

I was thinking of getting my kid his own tank for x-mas from Santa. I was thinking a 29g bio cube because it has all you need to get started and I don't have to mess with a sump setup.
    I also was thinking of a 45g? bow front for the fact that he could get more of a selection of fish and have more room for corals. The only thing that sucks is I would then have to build a sump buy a skimmer, return pump, power heads, plumbing, lights, and several other things I'm sure.
    The bio at least has a sump built in with a pump, might have a power head and a skimmer is cheaper then ones for a bigger tank. The lights are decent and you can get upgrades for less then a 4' light. They also seem easier to take care of.
    Santa brought a 125g last year that I have taken over, with the exception of a few fish. He's 10yrs old and always had a interest in fish and has wanted corals so I thought this could be his to take care of and buy the items needed to run a tank including buying the livestock.

so what's your preferences?

grozier, Oct 22, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. grozier

BL1 ............. Moderator

I liked my 28g NC but if I had done it all over again I would have just gotten a regular tank and gone from there. It would have been cheaper too.

If you're going to run a tank less then 30g then you don't NEED any type of filtration other then water changes. When I first started my NC I upgraded the filter basket, ran a skimmer, and a couple different types of filter mediums. In the end I took all of that crap out and just left the filter chambers empty.

If you go with a tank from the Petco $1 sale you'll end up paying less then $50 for any size new tank and the only other cost you'll have to figure in is lights. Any other equipment you'd have to add to the biocube anyway.

Another downside for me, and it would be the same with the bowfront tank, is that the curved glass distorts your view and gives me a little bit of a headache when I look at it for long periods.

BL1, Oct 22, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. grozier

would the bio cube be easier to take care of from a 10yr old point of view? The bios are like 300 new and the bow fronts range depending on condition (new or used) a local store has one with a bow front stand for a 150 my only concern is that the black silicone has a few spots that has changed color(rust color). and the top back part of the glass is not flush with the side glass and looks like it had been silicone from the outside as well.

grozier, Oct 22, 2013
  4. grozier

rrbigdog

I would just go with a breeder tank during the Petco dollar sale. Lower sides for easier access for a child. Also when you uprade (high probability) you can turn it into a sump. :sneaky:

rrbigdog, Oct 22, 2013
  5. grozier

BL1 ............. Moderator

I don't mess with silicone, so if there was even a question about a tanks seals I wouldn't mess with it.

BL1, Oct 22, 2013
  6. grozier

That's what I was thinking. Seals make me nervous when it comes to tanks. I'm not much worried about later upgrades since we already have a tank going.

grozier, Oct 22, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question