Thinking of getting a clam

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
So now that I have the lights to support a clam I'm thinking about getting one. Any suggestions on the type of clam to get, care, etc?

Thanks!

Care depends on the individual species. Some need to be on the substrate while others, like tridacna maxima, have to be on rocks. Mine seems to like a medium flow. How many watts per gallon are you running? Most clams have light requirements similiar to SPS corals and you should probably have at least 7-8 watts per gallon. They're supposed to be pretty tough to care for but I havn't had any problems with mine.

Something Fishy has been getting really awsome clams in lately. I've been wanting another one but I just don't have the money right now.

I've got 8wpg right now with my lighting. I'm running 234w T5's so I'll be fine w/ the lighting. I was at Something Fishy last weekend and saw all the clams they got. I just didn't get my new light until Monday.

Yeah, you'll be fine for lights. Are your nitrates and phosphates zeroed too? If so, I'd say just go for it. One important thing though, make sure you check out the clam's foot on the bottom when you buy it. If it's torn, they seldom are able to recover from it and will probably die.

Another thing, if you aren't supplementing/testing calcium now (i.e. don't have hard corals), you'll need to grab a calcium test because that's how the clam grows its shell.

I actually have no clue what my phosphates are. I don't have a test kit for that. Just got a calcium test kit so I'll be good there. I dose with Kent calcium.

Well as long as you're using RO water that doesn't have dirty old filters your phosphates are usually unreadable. But you are gonna want to grab a test for it now that you're going to be keeping corals.

I`m pretty partial to the squamosa clam. They are pretty hardy and I love their color.

009.jpg

Back