thinking of unloading my sps

RyanG

Reef enthusiast
I'm thinking about offing my acros I believe that I might have jumped into them too quickly. Things are starting to thrive and have good growth and nice color but others are failing too. Ill probably keep my millis and montis and hydnos but with my algae problems and work schedule the acros are going to have to go I'm afraid. Probably going to focus more on lps in the future. Any suggestions or advice?

Thats kinda the same thing I ran into.Seems that Acros are more touchy for some reason.
I'm also betting that you'll run into a few problems with your flow rates on LPS.I know I did.I have WAY to much flow for most LPS.
About the only suggestion I can really make,is see what you can trade for first.

That's the thing Yote my tank looked better with less flow because of the lps extension I enjoy the lps more to look at and to be honest I like that its easier to keep and make thrive. Major reason I'm looking to step back from it for now. I wouldn't mind setting up an sps only tank in the future but a mixed reef has too many things going on to make everything happy IMO

Ryan, glad you posted this, I'm about to start adding some corals and hearing yours and yote's stories helps me out. I'll definitely stick to some of the easier corals for now.

My best advice hornet is try them don't jump right to acros like I did. Get some easier stuff to keep like a montipora cap. If you do well with that get a birdsnest and so on and so forth. You might really enjoy them, they are my favorite corals but I'm not ready to meet their demands and neither is my system honestly

man i hope it all works out for you i had the same thing happen when i changed tanks last year the two sps that i did have were over come by all the alage the appeared over night.

TankPics006-2.jpg

TankPics007-2.jpg

TankPics004-1.jpg

The sad state of affairs :(

If I could keep the damned algae away from these things I think they would be ok judging from what is in the algae and what isnt.

I have the same regrets as Ryan and Yote. I had a ton of SPS, and then 99% of them were wiped out all of a sudden. I was mad at myself for spending so much money on them, and I never did replace any of them. Decided to stick with stuff that I wasn't going to want to kill myself over if they went downhill!

OMG Biff I hadnt even thought of the money part of it yet! There are about 500+/- worth of frags in that last pic! I had just been mad at myself for not being successful in the SPS endeavor, now Im worried about most of a paycheck dying.

Its just money! My wife is always complaining about what i spend on my tank. She refered to once as the Dr. Kavorkian of reefs.

Thats ok Biff, it wouldve dawned on me eventually. Five of the seven acros in that picture are named LE frags(I fell for the trap on some of them and others were a favor returned)

Back