thinking of unloading my sps

Im a firm believer that the man who dies with the most toys wins! Money is just a tool IMO, I spend it when I have it and dont when I need it. Im my own economic stimulus package!

I second your LPS enjoyment. My SPS were wiped out by algae too. Luckily there werent to many. I always felt bad about the pieces that were fragged to me for free. I felt like a really let down the original owner. It really sucks when they ask how its doing and you have to tell them it died.

Algae just plain sucks! I am battling it in my tank as well, although I think I'm starting to make some headway. I know it can be frustrating, but good luck with it.

Heres a thought Ryan.
Pick up a piece of eggcrete and build a rack to hold your SPS.If you get em up out of the algae,they'll probably be alright.
I also know just how bad it make the wallet hurt when you loose that many high dollar corals.I lost 8 to $900.00 when my big BTA decided to waltz around one night.Then probably another 3 to 400 dollars worth in my dino outbreak.
I'm just now starting to get the nerve up to get back into SPS.

Last edited:
That is a great idea Yote! Ive actually thought of trying to find a host tank for them temporarily while I get this situation worked out. I think Ill go the frag rack route first.

Get the eggcrate and glue it to a mag float. its makes a great frag rack and you can move it where you want it/ The only problem I hade was my turbo snails knocking them to the bottom of my 31" high tank. They now have the ones that snap into the eggcrate thoough.

I think your reef should be whatever gives you satisfaction. It took me close to 15 yrs of reefkeeping to decide to commit to SPS. And it does take a big commitment to keep your tank in the best possible condition with the major water parameters not swinging 1 way or another.
IMO, you don't need SPS to have a beautiful reef tank.

Oh I know all about the LPS crazes! My LFS has some SERIOUS acans like two 6'x4' lookdown tanks full of them. Some are reasonable some are UNGODLY priced.

Acans rock, and so do some chalices. However, I don't go near anything over $60. I just purchased a purple and pink birds nest frag for $10 and the last acans were $30. They will multiply in time.

I have a couple of chalices I really dont get them, sure they have some pretty nice colors but they look like a clown puked on your sand. Pretty boring coral IME/IMO

I have a couple of chalices I really dont get them, sure they have some pretty nice colors but they look like a clown puked on your sand. Pretty boring coral IME/IMO

I agree, many are only so-so. But there are a few I have seen that just pop. Maybe they are not chalice, but something else, but this one encrusting corol I saw was red with neon green polyps. I thought it was a chalice, but maybe not. On the other hand, I haven't seen an acan I didn't want in my tank, although I still only have one in there now. SPS are nice, but I like many LPS better.

Edit: This is the type I like, although I'm not sure it is chalice - http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+5&ddid=61269

Last edited:
Heres something to remember about those $1500.00 Acans.
The reason they are proced that high is because there rare.The price is going to drop as they become spread out and easier to get hold of.

Back