thinking of unloading my sps

Heres something to remember about those $1500.00 Acans.
The reason they are proced that high is because there rare.The price is going to drop as they become spread out and easier to get hold of.
not necessarily, because once people frag them they will sell them at a very high price to recoup their investment

Any monti is a GREAT way to start SPS but if you cant keep stable Calcium, Alk, and Magnesium levels even those can be difficult.

Lights that cyphastrea is not a chalice. Chalices are either echinophylia or echinopora I cant remember which one off the top of my head. Big difference in corals with these two. The cyphastrea is an encrusting SPS, echino's are a plating LPS. The cyphastreas need pristene water while echino's come from some of the dirtiest water on the reef and are known to be prolific in algae filled areas of the reef. Cyphastreas are a coral that needs high light and echino's need to be shaded in my tank or they bleach, pretty low light coral.

Lights that cyphastrea is not a chalice. Chalices are either echinophylia or echinopora I cant remember which one off the top of my head. Big difference in corals with these two. The cyphastrea is an encrusting SPS, echino's are a plating LPS. The cyphastreas need pristene water while echino's come from some of the dirtiest water on the reef and are known to be prolific in algae filled areas of the reef. Cyphastreas are a coral that needs high light and echino's need to be shaded in my tank or they bleach, pretty low light coral.

Thanks for the education. I guess chalices are off my list since I couldn't find any that I liked, but did find a lot of encrusting SPS that were really cool ... and way above budget :grumble:.

Dustin, with my luck, anything I put in the tank tends to be slow growing except the algae :shock:

Where did your algae problem come from?? Did your nitrates and phosphates rise up for some reason and feed the algae??

I thought algae would largely stay under control if you kept nitrates and phosphates very low?? True? If not where'd that algae come from??

Algae is "SUPPOSED" to stay gone when you keep nitrates and phosphates zeroed.That dont mean its going to though.

My nitrates are zeroed as well as i can get. Phosphates test at about .08 on a hanna meter which really isnt bad at all considering the algae problem I have. Maybe the algae is eating enought of the phos to make it test at a tolerable level? Not really sure whats going on.

Back