Thinking of upgrading my 37 gallon freshwater to saltwater.

TorchwoodMindfreak

Reefing newb
Well I currently have a 37 gallon tank and two 10 gallon tanks. Anyway what I would like to do is upgrade my 37 to a saltwater tank. Is this easily achievable? I'm only 16 so I don't have a lot of money to spend. But I would really like a tank with live rock, live sand, corals, inverts, and some fish. What steps do I need to do to complete this goal and what stuff do I need to buy?

Its certainly achievable, but the equipment needed can get a little pricey, everyone here would be able to steer you in the right direction of what you need and you can start looking on CL for it :)

This is an expensive hobby and the larger the tank the more it will cost. But if you take it slow and collect all the things you need you can certainly do it.

Do you have a good local aquarium store near you?

I recommend using Live Rock - Tampa Bay Saltwater Aquacultured Live Rock you can buy the package from him that will give you everything you need. It was cheaper for me than going to my local store and he gives you way more for your money.

This is an expensive hobby and the larger the tank the more it will cost. But if you take it slow and collect all the things you need you can certainly do it.

Do you have a good local aquarium store near you?

I recommend using Live Rock - Tampa Bay Saltwater Aquacultured Live Rock you can buy the package from him that will give you everything you need. It was cheaper for me than going to my local store and he gives you way more for your money.

Holy $hit at $5/lb for live rock you would be better of going to your LFS, or hitting up CL......I know my local reefing community is selling rock WITH coraline for $1/lb

Unfortunately there is only one lfs remotely close and I was in there a while ago and took a peak at their saltwater fish. I remember one not looking so hot. I might see if anyone there knows anything good but if not I'll just have to get the parents to drive me to fort worth. I know of a couple shops that I've heard are good up there. I've been in an amazing looking one before, I think it was called the true percula. Anyway that's probably what I'll have to do, get things slowly over time. What kind of lights would I need to be able to have soft corals? My tank is pretty much this Top Fin® Aquarium Starter Kit - 37 Gallon - Fish - PetSmart. The filter and heater are the ones that came with the setup. Will I need to get different ones? Also we have well water would I be able to use that (with added appropriate salt) in my tank?

I wouldnt really use well water in your tank, it has alot of bad things in it. If I were you I would maybe go get some of the 5 gal water jugs you can refill for drinking and use those.
A reef tank will have to have much better lighting than the lighting that you have on your tank, because the corals need more. However a FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock) wouldnt which might be the cheaper way for you to go for now.
I would still google search a reef forum in your area and connect with reefers near you. Many of them have extras laying around and take great pride in their tanks and are always willing to part with their things at a lower price to help a newbie out. They may even have a P.I.F (Pay It Forward) forum like mine does that they give things away for free on under the condition that when you are done with it or can part it out (like a frag) you have to P.I.F

Holy $hit at $5/lb for live rock you would be better of going to your LFS, or hitting up CL......I know my local reefing community is selling rock WITH coraline for $1/lb

Jeeez what?!?!
I had to buy all my rock for nearly $12/lb. looks like im moving to America hahaha

Thanks I'll look at their website :) so what kind of light would I need to be able to have zoas, soft corals, and maybe a clam? Also I read somewhere that the only filter you need is your liverock and a powerhead. Is this true?

About the well water I know it works just fine for my freshwater fish and shrimp but will it not work for salties?

Thanks I'll look at their website :) so what kind of light would I need to be able to have zoas, soft corals, and maybe a clam? Also I read somewhere that the only filter you need is your liverock and a powerhead. Is this true?
As far as lighting goes I found this. An excellent read and should learn ya somethin ;)
https://www.livingreefs.com/lighting-article-beginners-t482.html

Your LR will act as a filter, however I would do what I am doing and run a skimmer with powerheads in your tank. If you are not doing a sump, you will need to use a HOB skimmer like I use. I have put carbon in the bottom of my return to stop micro bubbles as well as help cleanse the water and I plan on putting chaeto above that to add another step of natural filtration.

About the well water I know it works just fine for my freshwater fish and shrimp but will it not work for salties?

Marine fish can be very sensitive. They are used to the ocean and most came from there to your tank. The bacteria and minerals in your well water is not good for them, which is why most people choose to use RO/DI or distilled water. It is 100% pure, nothing in it to throw your levels off because something bad in a very small percentage can have huge reprecussions

Actually most of dont use tap water because it contains so many icky things that fuel algae issues, like nitrates and phosphates.

Also, if your water has been through copper pipes at any point, it will pick up copper that is deadly to inverts in minuet quantities.

With a few exceptions, the fish dont mind the tap water.

I use tap,,have since the start(5+ years ago)..i am lucky to have decent water...
I say if you want a full blown colorful reef than obviously tap is not a good choice(but i still think is possible)...if your going to keep hardy fish and tough corals ie. shrooms , leathers,zoas , i say tap "should" work for you...Also ,an Algae scrubber can remove a lot of the bad things in tapwater
Get a printout from your water supplier and a tds meter...my TDS are usually between 30-40...Edit: saw you have well water ,, ,I would test it and go from there,,,i know people who use well water too(with scrubbers)
Good discussion about it here too
Algae Scrubbers • View topic - Dropping RO/DI for top off water?

Last edited:
Those lights look like they'll be good for any soft corals and probably some LPS, but I think clams need higher lighting.

I think the reef octopus skimmer looks better.

For the RO/DI unit I think the first one is the best.

Sumps can be a big advantage but in that sized tank you don't need one.

And don't let your age stand in the way. I'm 13 and I'm trying to set up a 75 gallon full blown reef. :frustrat:

ok well thats good for the start. I probably shouldn't attempt clams for a whiles anyway. So do you guys think I should start trying to rehome the current inhabitants now or wait till i actually get the light and skimmer and stuff.

And wow nice good luck with the 75

ok well thats good for the start. I probably shouldn't attempt clams for a whiles anyway. So do you guys think I should start trying to rehome the current inhabitants now or wait till i actually get the light and skimmer and stuff.

And wow nice good luck with the 75
Well I dont know how much money you have to spend so Ill go at this sort of the way I did, budget friendly :)
If you can rehome your other fish, try to sell them or trade them for something you could use. I sell stuff and it goes into my tank fund all of the time. When I got my tank I cleaned it with vinegar, and washed it out really well and let it sit and dry out a bit. After that I was able to put my sand and rock and water in. If you could do that I would.
ALWAYS be on the look out on your areas craigslist to buy stuff. People are breaking down and upgrading tanks all of the time. Last night I bought 50 LBS of live fiji rock with great coralline cover for $50 and he had everything!
Be looking, be patient, and plan. And you are right you are off to a GREAT start with your lights. Be proud of your first tank, you are learning :)

Back