thinking outside the box

Creben

aspiring reefer
Last edited:
Aquarium lighting is specialized lighting and involves many factors such as Kelvin temperature, watts, lux, lumens, wavelength, spectrum and more. I don't for a second pretend to understand it all but I do know the lights you find in home building stores will in no way work as a substitute. If it would we all would be using it.

Neither are the right color spectrum. They can be used if you don't mind your water looking yellow.
You can buy a magnetic metal halide ballast from your electrical supply store and that will work fine, but you need to buy a bulb in the 10K to 20k color spectrum and they are only available from aquarium related stores.

those 400 watt lights used for growing plants are way to low in the spectrum 6500k or less to much red.would be great if you had a two hundred gallon stock tank for a sump you would grow macro like its going out of style.the other lites would be good for an algea scrubber.but will not work on a tank

Ok. What about me finding a HPS light with the righ wavelength? That's the most important part yes? Has anyone on here used sodium lighting?

Back