Thought I would do a full barage of test and see what everyone thinks.

Jmck

Reef enthusiast
Calcium: 450 ppm
Alkalinity: 5 dkh - needs to go up
magnesium: 1000ppm

Nitrates: 0
Ammonia: .05

Both nitrates and ammonia are being dealt with but said to be low because of the high levels of algae in the tank.

I have an iodine test which I have never used, dunno if I should conduct that as well.

Keep in mind, my aim is to create an sps tank with clams that will thrive and grow and have the correct colors.

So whatever you guys recommend and however to get there and any other tests you think I should do, i will do it.

Thanks again to all you amazing people :) :bowdown::bowdown:

I beleive you're going to have to bring your Mag up to 1350 ish if you want to be able to raise and maintain your Alk
Agreed. It will also help you maintain your CA. And if your Amm is .05 and your trates are 0, what the heck are your trites at? Your also gonna have to check your Phosphates. SPS don't like those either.

Alright, so how do I bring my magnesium up then? And dont stress about lighting, ive gone from T5, to Halides, and Now to a 160 watt, maxspect G2 LED setup ;)

Having the low magnesium would explain why my alk never stayed where I wanted it.

Hahaha I wasnt sure, I heaerd LED's are new and not really tested... Could it kill my fish?

Jk of course :mrgreen:

If you're going to be raising magnesium, make sure you are checking your salinity as well. Most mag supplements (if not all, not sure) will raise your salinity.

Alright, so I just dropped in 160 g of the red sea magnesium dose as a website said 100ppm a day of magnesium is what you can increase it by.

Is that right? can I increase it by more in a 24 hour period? the packaging says at my level of mg you can put more, but want to see what you think.

Its been added to the sump with water. 1g of this stuff is 1.36 ppm of mg :)

I'd wait til tomorrow and slowly add it until you have more. The more mag you have, the higher alk/ca levels you should be able to maintain. Mag basically is blocking the "receptors" that allow the calcium carbonate to fall out.

Thanks ill see what everything is sitting at tonight after it has all settled through the system and continue tomorrow :)

I thought I would redo my tests now, but found out i did them slightly wrong by how much of the final ingredient was in the needle at the end. I set the plunger wrong and was off, but after my dosing, my Mg is at 1400, which makes sense, it kicked it up quicker than if it was at a lower amount, and my alk was off the chart as it actually didnt change to the final color. which was a bit wierd.

Calcium is at 550 now as well, the magnesium will have brought the results up a bit along with my error. So now, I will wait a few days for them to drop to the levels I want and create a maintenance program :)

Back