tiger watchman goby or a lawnmower blenny?

LittleVictoriaReef

Newbie is a fair assmnt.
Hi everyone!

Next month I would like to get a cleaner fish. I am wondering which would be a better member for my fishy community, a lawnmower blenny or a tiger watchman goby? I read that they both like to clean up sand, both are coral safe and both are (generally) non-aggressive. Anyone have a preference? I am leaning toward the Tiger, but only because he is pretty...

I'm having the same issue....I actually want a Midas blenny and the watchman goby...but I heard they might fight...all I have is two clowns and I need another fish...maybe even two....IMO that tiger goby looks pretty cool

Last edited:
How big is your tank? Maybe you can get both if the tank is large enough. I personally would LOVE to have a tiger watchman goby.

I'm not too sure actually, since I've never had both in a tank at the same time. But I think that if you put more rockwork in your tank, they won't have as much territorial issues.

Hi everyone!

Next month I would like to get a cleaner fish. I am wondering which would be a better member for my fishy community, a lawnmower blenny or a tiger watchman goby? I read that they both like to clean up sand, both are coral safe and both are (generally) non-aggressive. Anyone have a preference? I am leaning toward the Tiger, but only because he is pretty...

Generally speaking, in SW there aren't cleaner fish like in FW. In SW inverts are really your your primary clean up. When people speak of cleaner fish, it's more fish that pick parasites off of other fish.
With that being said, only the goby will "clean your sand." The blenny's primary food is algae which it will pick at the rocks for. The decision is really up to you, and which you like better. I will say though, if you want the TWG because it cleans the sand then it's not your best choice. They make a huge mess with the sand it eats from. A better choice IMO is the diamond goby which is better at eating sand and dropping it back generally in the same place.

Lawnmower blennies need a lot of hair algae available to eat. I don't think they mess with the sandbed much. Nassarius snails are the best thing for cleaning your sandbed. I'd go with the goby :)

Back