Time for a new fish

cthegame

Reef enthusiast
It’s time to buy one or two new fish. Tank hasn’t had any new tankmates for a while now and I would like your opinion on what I should get that will get along with my current fish.

I don’t trust the people at the LFS so here I am doing my own research before I buy :)

Tank size = 80 gallons
Current fish = 1 yellow tang, 1 spotted cardinal and 1 clown.

I will take the yellow tang out if I have to ensure he wont bother the new fish. And then put him back when the new fish has established territory.

I also have 1 sick clown in the QT tank. I don’t think the Clown will make it so I will eventually buy another clown too.

Any suggestions on what fish I could buy under $40 that will get along with my current fish?

Thanks.

The tang should get along fine with other fish you buy EXCEPT possibly other tangs or fish that look very much like it. So stay away from big, flat yellow things :).

Hibye is right -- the sixlines are beautiful, hardy, fun to watch and one of my favorite of the 'common' fish.

You could get another cardinal or two, because they are schooling fish.

If you're looking for something pretty and colorful, perhaps a strawberry pseudochromis, some sort of a dottyback or royal gramma? They are smaller though, so if you want *bigger* fish, maybe try a coral beauty or flame angel?

My choice would be either a flame angel or a coral beauty.

Six-lines are a cool fish,But so are some of the smaller fairy wrasses.

I like the royal gramma's, six lines are cool, flame angels or coral beauty's are great choices too, soo many cool looking fish out there..

I think I'm going to get the Coral Beauty. I just went to the LFS to look to see if they had any of the fish you guys listed and they had most. The Coral Beauty is on sale for $20 and the one they have looks better then the other fish so Im going to buy it. Its a pretty big size so i dont want any fish bigger than my current yellow tang. The Coral Beauty & the tang are about the same size and they will probably remain as my two largest fish.

Im excited. Going to pick up the fish in a few hours. Gees, i dont think i was this excited about other things in my life. This hobby is changing my behavior...hope it doesn’t ruin my life lol.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Glad you guys are here to help.

coral beauty is a great fish. I also like bluejaw triggers for mildly aggressive tanks. They don't eat corals and ignore shrimp that are placed in the tank first. They get about 8 inches and are a good choice for a big fish.

You can also check out the magnificent foxface - really pretty fish, pretty hardy and not very common and also get pretty large.

I also like a good combo of smaller fish, like royal grammas, potters angelfish, singapore angelfish (looks like a butterfly and mine has never touched a coral), or even a copperbanded butterfly. They are hit and miss, but only about $20 worth of a risk

-Dr Marco :sfish:

coral beauty is a great fish. I also like bluejaw triggers for mildly aggressive tanks. They don't eat corals and ignore shrimp that are placed in the tank first. They get about 8 inches and are a good choice for a big fish.

You can also check out the magnificent foxface - really pretty fish, pretty hardy and not very common and also get pretty large.

I also like a good combo of smaller fish, like royal grammas, potters angelfish, singapore angelfish (looks like a butterfly and mine has never touched a coral), or even a copperbanded butterfly. They are hit and miss, but only about $20 worth of a risk

I like potter angel fish too - I think i would get that next but will they get along with the coral beauty or my other fish?

I think now that the tank has been establish and all the setup expenses are behind me, the most fun part is stocking...

Last edited:
What is the best foods to feed the coral beauty? Yesterday the fish didnt eat. I'm not worried as he is looking healthy and swimming very actively (yesterday was the first day). I'm sure he will eat today but would like to know what they like best.

Thanks.

they live for the "angel and butterfly combo" as well as "marine cuisine". I have never had one ignore those foods.

-Dr Marco :sfish::sfish:

Is it normal for the Coral Beauty not to eat the prepared food for a few days? The new fish is not eating any of the food but looks to be healthy.

I noticed my yellow tang was being mean to him so i removed the Tang to see if the Coral Beauty would adjust with the Tang out. But he still didnt eat. Is this normal behavior?

By the way, catching the tang was impossible to do without having to remove all the rocks but since i had to remove the rocks not too long ago, i wasnt going to do it again. I had to get creative. I had no chance of catching it with a net so i used a piece of Plexiglas and divided the front left corner of the tank. No fish could get in that corner. I put a little food in it, and lifted the glass up so there was an entry from the bottom (about 2 inches). The tang went under it to get the food and BANG, I pushed the glass down into the sand trapping the little bastard in the corner. Then just netted him out. Now i have a new way of catching fish. Worked better and faster than trying to get them with a net.

good choice to catch the tang. I have done that as well. It makes it tough when you have a ton of live rock to move around before you have a clean shot into the sand.

Fish can take up to a week before they eat. If they go much longer than that, there is trouble coming. Some fish just never eat. Like...Moorish Idols...and then they die. Hope that it not the case. Try some nori and a variety of foods. Something will catch his eye.

Have you tried soaking the food in garlic? Some fish take to it.

Garlic will usually entice a fish to eat.You can also try mixing several different cubes of frozen foods in a cup and feeding a pinch or 2.Some times the fish just dont like whats being offered.

i would also try the garlic soaking as Piggy suggested. garlic is a natural appetite enhancer and should get the fish eating for you.

Back