Time for new lights

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
Half of my CustomSealife light took a shit on me tonight. It is not the bulb that is burnt out, there is something wrong with the plug the the bulb plugs into.

I basically know nothing about lights, but I know that this lighting system isn't strong enough for coral.

I know there are lots of different kinds of light out there but could you suggest some to me that will work with some typical corals, nothing to crazy. I dont want to spend anything over 300$ if possible. If you could provide some links to lights that would be awesome or possible websites that have some reasonable lights. As of now I only have a mushroom coral, but will be adding some other corals in the future.

Also, the half of my tank that is not lit, will it be allright until I get a new light? On that side there is only Liverock. On the lit side I have one Mushroom.

Thanks

Last edited:
Do you guys have the lunar lighting as well? Is it a lot more expensive? Is it bennificianary?

Last edited:
The lunar lights are just good for seeing in the tank at night. I dont have them on my tank but I will soon. There are a lot of DIY ideas to amke them or you can just buy a seperate if you dont get them with the light you buy.

Sorry for bombardering you guys with questions tonight. Haha.

Biff, with the TF, do you have to have the light fixture on those four stands, or can you set in directly on the tank? And do you have the 4x54 or the 8x54?

Also, the lunar light on the T5 says it is white, aren't they usually blue?

Last edited:
I don't know if you have to put it on the legs. I have the 4 bulb, Yote has the 8 bulb. the lunar lights are little LED lights in between the actinics and daylights.

Those Nova's come with rubber bumpers you can stick on the bottom of the fixture if you don't want to use the legs,it raises the light only a 1/4" so heat can disperse.I have the 8x54w version which I put in Icecap reflectors.They do have white lunar lights.Blue or white doesn't matter I think,just individual taste.The only difference between the 4x54w and mine are obviously the number of bulbs and the 8's have two cooling fans.

Sorry Biff I butted in.

SSalty said:
Do you guys have the lunar lighting as well? Is it a lot more expensive? Is it bennificianary?
I dont know how beneficianary it is but remember your trying to recreate the ocean and it is never completely dark.

Back