Time to return to zero

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
My giant turbo snail died. I guess a day or so ago. Anyway I found him during a normal water change today. I did notice that it was pretty smelly where the tank is. Anyway I did the WC and removed the snail. (This guy was BIG) before the WC I took a sample and tested for ammonia. It was .25. With the 10 gallon WC and carbon in a reactor, how long before I should see it back to zero?

I have no idea, but I doubt a giant turbo snail (2+ inches?) would cause an ammonia spike in a 90g tank. My giant turbo in my 10g finally died (probably starved to death) and I never saw an ammonia spike there and he was a good 2 inches. Are you sure something else didn't die? Is your SSS still alive? I think I'd also do another couple of water changes to get your ammonia down - that can be fatal pretty quickly.

Haven't seen the SSS today. I did see it yesterday. Not sure what would cause an ammonia spike other than the turbo. All the corals look fine. The other snails seem fine. All the fish seem fine. Maybe it was a bad test? I'll wash up my test tubes and run a full test series here in a bit.

I really am trying to stay out of the tank! I'll tell ya, dead snails sink!

Chances are that when you removed the snail, you stirred up the stagnant water that was in the shell releasing the ammonia. If the tank is well established, the ammonia should be consumed by the bacteria relatively quickly.

Could also be a bad test, any chance of getting a second test on it (LFS) or a friend? seems odd to me.

Good Luck with it, hope everything is ok in the tank

Everything looks okay at this point. Thanks for the support.

Two too many deaths in my tank. Best I can tell is that the turbo got stuck between the return wall and pipe just at the water line. Guess it was too much in the open air or it was starving and getting stuck was the final straw. All the corals, fish and remaining snails all seem fine.

Back