Time to Upgrade

andysgirl8800

Blenny Badlands
Scared out of my socks, but it's time to move the 125 in order to replace the carpet. picked up a 4 year old 180 tank/stand/canopy with dual overflows. Here are my current concerns. Brand is "All Glass". According to some reviews, this tank has been know to blow a seam. Is this something I should worry about? Should I reinforce the silicone as a precaution? If so, does this mean I have to strip out all the older silicone, or just place over it? I plan on doing a water test to make sure there are no leaks, but we all know that adding LR and sand can change the overall stress on the seams. Also, there is a sicker on the bottom of the tank that says "Tempered Glass, DO NOT DRILL" but there are already drilled holes for the overflows. Can I assume those were drilled by the manufacturer and are therefore, safe, i.e. not compromising the integrity of the tank? The last thing I want is a flooded livingroom and an exploded tank! HELP!

AGA tanks have a lifetime warranty for the original owner if placed on the corresponding AGA stand - I'd be surprised if that would be the case if they were known for 'blowing seams'. If installed correctly I don't think there is anything to worry about here

Some of the reef ready tanks are drilled with tempered glass by the manufacturer I believe. I think they have a different process for doing this, which is why they can. You could always try calling them to verify

If you are going to re-seal, I would pull out as much of the old silicone as you can

Ew. Really don't want to pull out all the old silicone. Good idea to call the manufacturer, thanks! I may just do that! It is the original stand, but I think I am going to reinforce all it's corners and cross beams, just to be sure. Also, I checked my floor and it is slightly off level. Is there anything I can put under it to help level it?

I've seen people use styrofoam board under the tank to help level it out. I've got long pieces of wood trim under two sides of my tank to keep it level, and I keep a level on my tank stand at all times so that I know it hasn't started to shift or settle differently. This may be overkill but I want to be safe.

You cannot drill tempered. End of story. If there are holes in it already, they were drilled after the glass was cut, but before it was tempered. It was done safely by the manufacturer so its fine.

AGA tanks are war horses and are probably about the most common tanks in the hobby. They became Aqueon and are the same tanks that are marketed as MarineLand....they're all really the same....older AGAs had even thicker glass....As for the drillings, like Kyle said the factory has the glass drilled before it is tempered....trying to drill it now would be disasterous.....

If your floor is uneven you will need to level the stand....If it is a bad enough bow you can use paint stirrer paddles or even pieces of them under a corner....if not, give up a couple of decent emory boards....either one, when inserted and broken off will make a perfectly acceptable shim.....shim under the stand, not the tank, as it's weight needs to be evenly borne by all sides of the rim....

Like I said, remember that it is the top that really needs to be true, not the bottom...but with that said, the bottom cannot rock like a bad cabinet...

Back