timing lights on refuge

baddfish

scrubber fan!
I've come across information here and there that it is benificial to run your refuge lighting on an opposite schedule from DT lighting...while the tank is dark the refuge is lit.
Anyone do this? Notice anything different?
Just curious...I run the lights all on the same timer (except the scrubber), which is on about 9 hours a day...

I've done that, but now I just leave my fuge lights on 24/7.

It does help to run them opposite (or on all the time ) because it actually keeps the PH stable. It fluctuates at any given time depending on the tank's lighting. So if one part of the tank always has light, PH stays relatively the same.

Thanks wonton.
So there's no downside to that? I guess I always assumed there could be too much light. From what I understand, even the scrubber lights should turn off for six hours or so...

You should run the fuge lights opposite your display tank lights, or 24/7.

There's a small downside -- a lot of the algae's growth occurs while the lights are off. But I run my fuge lights 24/7 and my chaeto still grows like crazy, so in my experience, there's no noticeable difference in growth between the two schedules.

I believe the reason they suggest to run the fuge lights opposite the display tank is to help keep the PH and temperature constant? I've got a hang on back Refugium so running my fuge lights opposite the display tank would not be practical, I've just matched them to my 'day' cycle. They come on after dawn, and off at the start of dusk.

I believe the reason they suggest to run the fuge lights opposite the display tank is to help keep the PH and temperature constant? I've got a hang on back Refugium so running my fuge lights opposite the display tank would not be practical, I've just matched them to my 'day' cycle. They come on after dawn, and off at the start of dusk.

Yes, to explain in more detail, photosynthetic critters (algae, corals, trees, grass, etc.) take in carbon dioxide (CO2) and release oxygen. When carbon dioxide mixes with water, it creates carbonic acid, which drops pH. Photosynthesis primarily happens in the light (it's a process fueled by light). So when photosynthesis is happening (when lights are on), CO2 is constantly being taken up by these organisms, so it's not getting a chance to sit in the water and create carbonic acid.

At night time, most of the photosynthesis shuts down, so CO2 accumulates in the water, forming carbonic acid, and dropping the pH (making the water more acidic).

This is why the pH is lowest first thing in the morning, after the lights have been off for a long time. And this is why pH tends to be highest at the end of the day, after the lights have been on and organisms have been photosynthesizing all day long and removing that CO2 from the system.

If you run your fuge 24/7 or opposite the tank lights, it allows whatever is in your fuge to continue photosynthesizing during that time. So there will always be something in your system taking up carbon dioxide, and preventing the pH from dropping. Running a refugium on an opposite or 24/7 light schedule is one of the easiest and most effective ways to prevent pH swings.

Yes, to explain in more detail, photosynthetic critters (algae, corals, trees, grass, etc.) take in carbon dioxide (CO2) and release oxygen. When carbon dioxide mixes with water, it creates carbonic acid, which drops pH. Photosynthesis primarily happens in the light (it's a process fueled by light). So when photosynthesis is happening (when lights are on), CO2 is constantly being taken up by these organisms, so it's not getting a chance to sit in the water and create carbonic acid.

At night time, most of the photosynthesis shuts down, so CO2 accumulates in the water, forming carbonic acid, and dropping the pH (making the water more acidic).

This is why the pH is lowest first thing in the morning, after the lights have been off for a long time. And this is why pH tends to be highest at the end of the day, after the lights have been on and organisms have been photosynthesizing all day long and removing that CO2 from the system.

If you run your fuge 24/7 or opposite the tank lights, it allows whatever is in your fuge to continue photosynthesizing during that time. So there will always be something in your system taking up carbon dioxide, and preventing the pH from dropping. Running a refugium on an opposite or 24/7 light schedule is one of the easiest and most effective ways to prevent pH swings.

Thats the best explanation I've heard, thanks!

Back